Carlos Beltran is unaware of trade rumors because he’s not “into the computer searching”

Dec 15, 2010, 4:58 PM EDT

Carlos Beltran

Prior the Red Sox signing Carl Crawford last week Peter Gammons reported that they “continue to talk to the Mets” about a potential trade for Carlos Beltran (which is obviously no longer an option).

For his part Beltran told MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo that he was unaware of the rumors until a family member in Puerto Rico informed him, because he’s not “into the computer searching.”

Beltran, who technically is a 34-year-old outfielder even if he sounds like an 84-year-old grandparent, added that he doesn’t expect a trade to take place because no one from the Mets has broached the subject with him since Sandy Alderson took over as general manager.

He’s owed $18.5 million in the final season of a seven-year, $119 million contract and the Mets would no doubt have to eat a significant portion of that remaining salary to move him.

As for Beltran’s surgically repaired knee, DiComo writes that he’s yet to begin running at full speed yet, but “has been able to focus on the lower-body exercises he was forced to ignore last winter.”

1. Mark Armour - Dec 15, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Why is Beltran to the Red Sox no longer an option? I would think a deal revolving around Beltran and Drew would make some sense, assuming the Mets are mad at Beltre. Drew is slightly cheaper, while Beltran would help the Red Sox be less left-handed.

2. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Dec 15, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Hey Beltran, your mother smells like a piece of wet poo! HA! You aren’t even gonna know I wrote this!

• Gobias Industries - Dec 15, 2010 at 5:27 PM

With my quill, I have transcribed your comment to paper and put it in my trusty carrier pigeon’s beak for delivery to Mr. Beltran. I shall soon start a fire so that I may also send him a smoke signal. You and your filthy mouth are in a world of trouble, my friend.

• scatterbrian - Dec 15, 2010 at 5:32 PM

You could have gone all Marquis de Sade and written that letter using…..never mind.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 15, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Heyward, I’d start quaking in my boots if I were you—in about a month or so….

• Jonny 5 - Dec 15, 2010 at 9:11 PM

His Cousin in Puerto Rico is going to rat you out. He’s going to send his closer after you to slap you silly, or until his thumb falls off. Then he’ll punch his own head for a reason known only to him.

3. Utley's Hair - Dec 15, 2010 at 7:00 PM

I don’t think this tappy-tap computation box thingy here is going to catch on. Mimeograph—now that’s a technological advance for the ages!!!!! (It even smells great.)

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (2990)