Dec 15, 2010, 4:58 PM EST
Prior the Red Sox signing Carl Crawford last week Peter Gammons reported that they “continue to talk to the Mets” about a potential trade for Carlos Beltran (which is obviously no longer an option).
For his part Beltran told MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo that he was unaware of the rumors until a family member in Puerto Rico informed him, because he’s not “into the computer searching.”
Beltran, who technically is a 34-year-old outfielder even if he sounds like an 84-year-old grandparent, added that he doesn’t expect a trade to take place because no one from the Mets has broached the subject with him since Sandy Alderson took over as general manager.
He’s owed $18.5 million in the final season of a seven-year, $119 million contract and the Mets would no doubt have to eat a significant portion of that remaining salary to move him.
As for Beltran’s surgically repaired knee, DiComo writes that he’s yet to begin running at full speed yet, but “has been able to focus on the lower-body exercises he was forced to ignore last winter.”
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 74
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)