Dec 15, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
Earlier this week the Diamondbacks were said to be on the verge of signing veteran catcher Henry Blanco and now Jack Magruder of FOX Sports Arizona reports that they’ve come to terms on a one-year, $1 million contract.
Blanco will back up 27-year-old starter Miguel Montero and figures to get most of his starts subbing for the left-handed-hitting Montero versus left-handed pitching.
Blanco has never been much of a hitter and at age 39 his bat is pretty anemic at this point, but he can still shut down a running game after throwing out 11 of 22 steal attempts this year.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 1
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 36
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 41
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)