Dec 15, 2010, 12:30 PM EST
Earlier this week the Diamondbacks were said to be on the verge of signing veteran catcher Henry Blanco and now Jack Magruder of FOX Sports Arizona reports that they’ve come to terms on a one-year, $1 million contract.
Blanco will back up 27-year-old starter Miguel Montero and figures to get most of his starts subbing for the left-handed-hitting Montero versus left-handed pitching.
Blanco has never been much of a hitter and at age 39 his bat is pretty anemic at this point, but he can still shut down a running game after throwing out 11 of 22 steal attempts this year.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 22
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 44
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 21
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)