Diamondbacks promote former Baseball Think Factory writer Carlos Gomez to international scouting director

Dec 15, 2010, 1:13 PM EDT

dbacks btf logo

As a longtime lurker, occasional commenter, and former contributor at Baseball Think Factory I’m absolutely thrilled by this news: Carlos Gomez, who frequently posted comments and wrote articles at Baseball Think Factory under the screen name “Chad Bradford Wannabe,” has been hired as the Diamondbacks’ international scouting director.

Gomez, who pitched professionally in independent leagues after playing college ball at Purdue, became a scout for the Diamondbacks in 2007 when Jerry DiPoto “called me, impressed me, and then blew me away with an offer that I couldn’t possibly refuse.”

I loved Gomez’s articles breaking down pitching mechanics on Baseball Think Factory (and also The Hardball Times), and from reading his comments on various BTF discussions threads I also know that he’s a really smart, interesting guy who combines a ton of traditional baseball knowledge with an open mind to sabermetrics.

Helluva hire by the Diamondbacks and a helluva cool thing for everyone in the online baseball community.

1. Jason @ IIATMS - Dec 15, 2010 at 1:47 PM

This is very cool. Almost as cool as you, Craig and the rest developing this site into the powerhouse it has become… and getting paid for it.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 15, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Hey, Aaron, does it bug you when people inevitably address you as Craig on these posts?

• Jason @ IIATMS - Dec 15, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Who addressed him as Craig?

• Utley's Hair - Dec 15, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Oops. Sorry. I thought there was a comma after Craig, like you were addressing him. Upon further review, there isn’t. My apologies.

But Aaron does seem to get shafted a lot in that regard.

2. joshv02 - Dec 15, 2010 at 1:52 PM

CWB is awesome — his comments on BTF prior to branching into longer articles were always really useful. Great for him.

3. tungping - Dec 16, 2010 at 10:00 AM

I enjoyed Comez’s works on The Hardball Times. When Brian Cashman interviewed Larry Rothschild as the pitching coach, video analysis was a part of the process. Look like video analysis joins sabermetrics as essential for some baseball jobs. Go Boilermakers!

All the trade deadline news to know