Diamondbacks promote former Baseball Think Factory writer Carlos Gomez to international scouting director
Dec 15, 2010, 1:13 PM EDT
As a longtime lurker, occasional commenter, and former contributor at Baseball Think Factory I’m absolutely thrilled by this news: Carlos Gomez, who frequently posted comments and wrote articles at Baseball Think Factory under the screen name “Chad Bradford Wannabe,” has been hired as the Diamondbacks’ international scouting director.
Gomez, who pitched professionally in independent leagues after playing college ball at Purdue, became a scout for the Diamondbacks in 2007 when Jerry DiPoto “called me, impressed me, and then blew me away with an offer that I couldn’t possibly refuse.”
I loved Gomez’s articles breaking down pitching mechanics on Baseball Think Factory (and also The Hardball Times), and from reading his comments on various BTF discussions threads I also know that he’s a really smart, interesting guy who combines a ton of traditional baseball knowledge with an open mind to sabermetrics.
Helluva hire by the Diamondbacks and a helluva cool thing for everyone in the online baseball community.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (81)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)