Diamondbacks promote former Baseball Think Factory writer Carlos Gomez to international scouting director
Dec 15, 2010, 1:13 PM EDT
As a longtime lurker, occasional commenter, and former contributor at Baseball Think Factory I’m absolutely thrilled by this news: Carlos Gomez, who frequently posted comments and wrote articles at Baseball Think Factory under the screen name “Chad Bradford Wannabe,” has been hired as the Diamondbacks’ international scouting director.
Gomez, who pitched professionally in independent leagues after playing college ball at Purdue, became a scout for the Diamondbacks in 2007 when Jerry DiPoto “called me, impressed me, and then blew me away with an offer that I couldn’t possibly refuse.”
I loved Gomez’s articles breaking down pitching mechanics on Baseball Think Factory (and also The Hardball Times), and from reading his comments on various BTF discussions threads I also know that he’s a really smart, interesting guy who combines a ton of traditional baseball knowledge with an open mind to sabermetrics.
Helluva hire by the Diamondbacks and a helluva cool thing for everyone in the online baseball community.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 260
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 14
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 29
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 43
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (270)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)