Game seven of the 1960 World Series to be broadcast tonight

Dec 15, 2010, 8:48 AM EDT

Mazeroski home run

Remember how they found that old kinescope of Game seven of the 1960 World Series in Bing Crosby’s basement last year?  Well, tonight it will be rebroadcast in its entirety on MLB Network. It will be the first time the public has seen the thing since it first aired. It comes on at 8PM Eastern.

While I sorta wish they’d just run the game on a stand-alone basis — and how cool would the vintage commercials be? — there will be extra features added. Bob Costas will host, and players who participated in the game including Bobby Richardson, Dick Groat, Bill Virdon, Vern Law, Roy Face and Hal Smith will be interviewed.

Now, if only my cable company carried MLB Newtwork … Grrr …

1. BC - Dec 15, 2010 at 9:42 AM

This will be cool. I’ll be watching.

2. clydeserra - Dec 15, 2010 at 11:00 AM

I am with you on the MLB network. I wish I could switch out one of the 8 HSC networks

3. Jonny 5 - Dec 15, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Seriously, I’m mad. I’m having cable problems right now, and i’m thinking of going fiberoptic. So right now, no MLB network either.

4. florida76 - Dec 15, 2010 at 11:48 AM

This special tonight is a little more than just Game 7 of the 1960 World Series. Anyone who seriously follows the sport knows this is one of the greatest games in the history of baseball. If you don’t get the MLB Network, the uncut game can be purchased on dvd, check mlb.com

5. yankees1996 - Dec 15, 2010 at 2:58 PM

The hot dogs, nachos and beer are at the ready, no way I am missing it!

• Old Gator - Dec 15, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Missed it. Went to a lecture on the late sculptor David Smith, which will not be available on DVD. I watched that entire game with my Borg-loving grandfather on a small screen black and white TV in a stately old mahogany console fifty years ago. Had a radio in it too, and my grandmother made chicken fricasse, pirogies, borscht and applie pie while we watched. My grandfather was too sick to eat much when the game ended, wandering around the living room muttering “the Yankiss stink, the Yankiss stink.” But then he said that every time they lost.

Anyway, I had dinner pretty much to myself. Back then, I couldn’t understand that the axis of the universe had come uncottered for Pops. But my grandmother was a cosmic cook and her fricasse was nonpareil. A Borg implosion was a small enough price to pay for having uncontested dibs on the puppick.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey