Dec 15, 2010, 7:05 PM EST
Padres closer Heath Bell won Major League Baseball’s Delivery Man of the Year Award in 2010 with a shiny 1.93 ERA and 47 saves in 50 chances.
His winter has not gone as smoothly.
First he was named in several different trade scenarios, then he came down with typhoid fever while vacationing in the islands of the south Pacific Ocean.
According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Bell caught the bug while staying on the Fijian island of Tavarua. It didn’t hit him until a few days later, when he was in Hawaii and hoping to renew his marital vows with his wife Nicole.
Instead of enjoying the sun and beautiful beaches of Maui, Bell spent most of his time in an emergency room as doctors fought a battle against bacteria in his bloodstream.
All is well now.
Typhoid fever varies from serious to mild and Bell escaped without any long-term effects. He was spotted at the Padres’ Holiday Caravan in good health and good spirits, and he should be back to 100 percent health by the opening of spring training.
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Jonson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 0
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 99
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 44
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 33
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)