Dec 15, 2010, 7:05 PM EDT
Padres closer Heath Bell won Major League Baseball’s Delivery Man of the Year Award in 2010 with a shiny 1.93 ERA and 47 saves in 50 chances.
His winter has not gone as smoothly.
First he was named in several different trade scenarios, then he came down with typhoid fever while vacationing in the islands of the south Pacific Ocean.
According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Bell caught the bug while staying on the Fijian island of Tavarua. It didn’t hit him until a few days later, when he was in Hawaii and hoping to renew his marital vows with his wife Nicole.
Instead of enjoying the sun and beautiful beaches of Maui, Bell spent most of his time in an emergency room as doctors fought a battle against bacteria in his bloodstream.
All is well now.
Typhoid fever varies from serious to mild and Bell escaped without any long-term effects. He was spotted at the Padres’ Holiday Caravan in good health and good spirits, and he should be back to 100 percent health by the opening of spring training.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 78
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)