Dec 15, 2010, 10:11 PM EST
Nobody’s quite sure why the Padres’ trade for Rays shortstop Jason Bartlett has been put on hold. The swap was initially agreed to a full week ago, but something might have gone wrong during the physicals for the three involved players or the two teams may still be working out contract matters.
Whatever the case, Jon Heyman of SI.com reported Wednesday that the trade is “better than 50-50″ to get done. But, like, worse than 70-30. And worse than 60-40.
The Rays were slated to get relievers Cesar Ramos and Adam Russell in return from San Diego and were planning to plug some of the holes in their bullpen with the lefty and righty. Tampa Bay’s talented 2010 relief corps has been ravaged this winter by the free agent market.
The Padres, meanwhile, were hoping to start Bartlett at shortstop. He had a rough 2010, but the Friars got very little production from short this past year and his presence would have meant an improved 2011 lineup.
For now we will continue to play the waiting game.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)