Dec 15, 2010, 10:11 PM EDT
Nobody’s quite sure why the Padres’ trade for Rays shortstop Jason Bartlett has been put on hold. The swap was initially agreed to a full week ago, but something might have gone wrong during the physicals for the three involved players or the two teams may still be working out contract matters.
Whatever the case, Jon Heyman of SI.com reported Wednesday that the trade is “better than 50-50″ to get done. But, like, worse than 70-30. And worse than 60-40.
The Rays were slated to get relievers Cesar Ramos and Adam Russell in return from San Diego and were planning to plug some of the holes in their bullpen with the lefty and righty. Tampa Bay’s talented 2010 relief corps has been ravaged this winter by the free agent market.
The Padres, meanwhile, were hoping to start Bartlett at shortstop. He had a rough 2010, but the Friars got very little production from short this past year and his presence would have meant an improved 2011 lineup.
For now we will continue to play the waiting game.
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 5
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 29
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 47
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 68
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 51
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)