Dec 15, 2010, 10:11 PM EDT
Nobody’s quite sure why the Padres’ trade for Rays shortstop Jason Bartlett has been put on hold. The swap was initially agreed to a full week ago, but something might have gone wrong during the physicals for the three involved players or the two teams may still be working out contract matters.
Whatever the case, Jon Heyman of SI.com reported Wednesday that the trade is “better than 50-50″ to get done. But, like, worse than 70-30. And worse than 60-40.
The Rays were slated to get relievers Cesar Ramos and Adam Russell in return from San Diego and were planning to plug some of the holes in their bullpen with the lefty and righty. Tampa Bay’s talented 2010 relief corps has been ravaged this winter by the free agent market.
The Padres, meanwhile, were hoping to start Bartlett at shortstop. He had a rough 2010, but the Friars got very little production from short this past year and his presence would have meant an improved 2011 lineup.
For now we will continue to play the waiting game.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 17
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 9
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)