Dec 15, 2010, 10:11 PM EDT
Nobody’s quite sure why the Padres’ trade for Rays shortstop Jason Bartlett has been put on hold. The swap was initially agreed to a full week ago, but something might have gone wrong during the physicals for the three involved players or the two teams may still be working out contract matters.
Whatever the case, Jon Heyman of SI.com reported Wednesday that the trade is “better than 50-50″ to get done. But, like, worse than 70-30. And worse than 60-40.
The Rays were slated to get relievers Cesar Ramos and Adam Russell in return from San Diego and were planning to plug some of the holes in their bullpen with the lefty and righty. Tampa Bay’s talented 2010 relief corps has been ravaged this winter by the free agent market.
The Padres, meanwhile, were hoping to start Bartlett at shortstop. He had a rough 2010, but the Friars got very little production from short this past year and his presence would have meant an improved 2011 lineup.
For now we will continue to play the waiting game.
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 38
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 35
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 46
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 58
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)