Dec 15, 2010, 8:24 AM EDT
The Daily News reports that Ruben Amaro inquired about Pedro Martinez during the Winter Meetings, and then speculates thusly:
With the Phillies possibly looking to jettison now-No. 5 starter Joe Blanton and his hefty 2011 salary – he has about $21 million owed him from his three-year deal – there would be plenty of room to sign Martinez to an incentive-rich contract similar to the one he inked with Philly in 2009.
I have no idea if Pedro can pitch anymore. I’m skeptical. But I would like to see the Phillies sign him simply because (a) baseball is a lot more fun with Pedro Martinez in it; and (b) even if he can’t pitch anymore, the photos of him and the other four starters together that would be on the cover of every spring training preview would be pretty awesome.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (114)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)