Dec 15, 2010, 8:24 AM EST
The Daily News reports that Ruben Amaro inquired about Pedro Martinez during the Winter Meetings, and then speculates thusly:
With the Phillies possibly looking to jettison now-No. 5 starter Joe Blanton and his hefty 2011 salary – he has about $21 million owed him from his three-year deal – there would be plenty of room to sign Martinez to an incentive-rich contract similar to the one he inked with Philly in 2009.
I have no idea if Pedro can pitch anymore. I’m skeptical. But I would like to see the Phillies sign him simply because (a) baseball is a lot more fun with Pedro Martinez in it; and (b) even if he can’t pitch anymore, the photos of him and the other four starters together that would be on the cover of every spring training preview would be pretty awesome.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)