Dec 15, 2010, 8:24 AM EDT
The Daily News reports that Ruben Amaro inquired about Pedro Martinez during the Winter Meetings, and then speculates thusly:
With the Phillies possibly looking to jettison now-No. 5 starter Joe Blanton and his hefty 2011 salary – he has about $21 million owed him from his three-year deal – there would be plenty of room to sign Martinez to an incentive-rich contract similar to the one he inked with Philly in 2009.
I have no idea if Pedro can pitch anymore. I’m skeptical. But I would like to see the Phillies sign him simply because (a) baseball is a lot more fun with Pedro Martinez in it; and (b) even if he can’t pitch anymore, the photos of him and the other four starters together that would be on the cover of every spring training preview would be pretty awesome.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)