Dec 15, 2010, 8:24 AM EST
The Daily News reports that Ruben Amaro inquired about Pedro Martinez during the Winter Meetings, and then speculates thusly:
With the Phillies possibly looking to jettison now-No. 5 starter Joe Blanton and his hefty 2011 salary – he has about $21 million owed him from his three-year deal – there would be plenty of room to sign Martinez to an incentive-rich contract similar to the one he inked with Philly in 2009.
I have no idea if Pedro can pitch anymore. I’m skeptical. But I would like to see the Phillies sign him simply because (a) baseball is a lot more fun with Pedro Martinez in it; and (b) even if he can’t pitch anymore, the photos of him and the other four starters together that would be on the cover of every spring training preview would be pretty awesome.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)