The Phillies inquired about Pedro Martinez last week

Dec 15, 2010, 8:24 AM EDT

Pedro Martinez

The Daily News reports that Ruben Amaro inquired about Pedro Martinez during the Winter Meetings, and then speculates thusly:

With the Phillies possibly looking to jettison now-No. 5 starter Joe Blanton and his hefty 2011 salary – he has about $21 million owed him from his three-year deal – there would be plenty of room to sign Martinez to an incentive-rich contract similar to the one he inked with Philly in 2009.

I have no idea if Pedro can pitch anymore. I’m skeptical. But I would like to see the Phillies sign him simply because (a) baseball is a lot more fun with Pedro Martinez in it; and (b) even if he can’t pitch anymore, the photos of him and the other four starters together that would be on the cover of every spring training preview would be pretty awesome.

1. Gobias Industries - Dec 15, 2010 at 8:34 AM

Rumor has it the Phillies will also be digging up and signing the corpses of Walter Johnson and Lefty Gomez for insurance. You know, just in case any of their seven aces falters.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 15, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Nah…Steve Carlton—at least he’s still walking around.

2. felser - Dec 15, 2010 at 8:41 AM

Pedro was 5-1 with a 3.63 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, and 38/8 K/BB ratio with Philly in 2009 as well as being a delightful personality. As a Phils fan, I’d love to see him resigned to be the fifth starter. Kendrick and Worley can compete to be long men in the pen.

• felser - Dec 15, 2010 at 8:42 AM

37/8 on the K/BB, that is.

3. Brian - Dec 15, 2010 at 8:55 AM

i say sign him as a long man. he can’t hold up as a starter for a full year. He could have a career Renaissance on his hands if makes a successful transition.

4. Jonny 5 - Dec 15, 2010 at 8:58 AM

I’m very wary of anything Pedro. He had a very nice 2009. But couch surfing for 2010 more than likely was the ship sailing on his career. He had troubles when he pitched on normal rest imo. And did much better on extended rest between starts back then, So I don’t expect for him to be better than he was then and I don’t think anyone else does either, including Pedro himself. Maybe if they kept him as a sort of specialty and have him skip every other start or something?? I don’t see the point though. Even Kendrick can win 50% of his games, and with the rest of the rotation??? I just don’t see the point….

• BC - Dec 15, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Kendrick is an abomination. And Pedro won’t make it more than 20 starts, if that. Then again, you really don’t need a fifth starter until May… so maybe Pedro IS worth a shot?

• felser - Dec 15, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Keep the other four starters on a fifth day rotation rather than a fifth game rotation, and use Pedro only when you don’t have an off day in the five day stretch. That would limit his exposure. If he does flame out, you have Kendrick/Worley.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 15, 2010 at 10:58 AM

I don’t know, It’s a gamble either way. But spending any decent money on him scares me. Not that it matters apparently. I’m seeing my team morph into some other mindset that I’m not used to when it comes to money and contracts. I worry this all could hurt in the end, but we’ll see. For now I’ll just be happy we have this rotation.

5. wonkypenguin - Dec 15, 2010 at 9:27 AM

And then, with the way intangibles work in baseball, won’t the other four starters just lift Pedro to a higher level, just will him to be his old self again? Or does Derek Jeter have to be involved for something like that to happen?

6. Utley's Hair - Dec 15, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Bring back Grandpa and alternate him with Pedro. Sorry, KK, but you’re long relief in the pen.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 15, 2010 at 3:01 PM

I’d LOVE to see that!

• Utley's Hair - Dec 15, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Then Moyer would HAVE to be Obi Wan.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3484)