Dec 15, 2010, 9:13 PM EST
Peter Gammons, now of the MLB Network and MLB.com, is reporting that free agent reliever Jesse Crain has reached agreement on a three-year contract with the White Sox.
Crain, 29, posted a healthy 3.04 ERA and 1.18 WHIP in 71 appearances for the Twins this past year, fanning 62 batters and walking only 27 over 68 innings of setup duty. He may get a chance to save games in Chicago, a direct division rival of his former team.
The right-hander has improved the velocity of his fastball in each of the last four seasons, registering a 93.9 MPH average in 2007, a 94.1 MPH average in 2008, a 94.3 MPH average in 2009 and a career-high 94.8 MPH mark in 2010. It’s rarely wise to hand a three-year contract to a reliever, but Crain at least appears to be in his prime.
No word yet on the total worth of the agreement. Scott Downs got a three-year, $15 million from the Angels earlier this month and Joaquin Benoit scored a three-year, $16.5 million pact from the Tigers at the start of the offseason. It may be something similar.
UPDATE: Crain’s new three-year deal is worth $13 million, according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com. Not terrible, right?
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)