Dec 16, 2010, 5:57 PM EST
In response to my inclusion of Tim Raines on my imaginary Hall of Fame ballot:
does anyone realize that apart from his 5 really good years of 1983-1987, tim raines looks a lot more like marquis grissom than he does rickey henderson?? 5 seasons does not make a hall of fame career.
This is why we can’t have nice things, people. I was about to go nuts on this myself — I mean, you can’t just take a guy’s peak years away and call his Hall of Fame case a sham — but I decided instead to let Raines-Backer-in-Chief Jonah Keri handle it. His way-more-polite-than-I-would-have-been response:
Tim Raines was, according to Bill James, the best player in MLB from 1983 through 1987 … Also, check out Raines30.com if you want to learn more about the player with more times on base in his career than Tony Gwynn, a higher OBP than Willie Mays, the 5th-most SB of all-time and the highest success rate of any basestealer with anywhere near that many attempts.
Do check out Raines30.com. And make sure that, in the event you correspond with Hall of Fame voters, they are aware of it too. And while you’re at it, listen to Jonah’s podcast with Tim Raines himself from just the other day. This is not a hard case. This is not a close case. Tim Raines is a clearly deserving Hall of Fame candidate. It has to happen.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 59
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 156
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (158)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)