Dec 16, 2010, 2:50 PM EDT
UPDATE: Buster Olney says it’s done: Bobby Jenks has agreed to a two-year, $12 million deal with the Red Sox. This came out of left field.
Significance: once again the Red Sox have beat their AL East rivals this offseason, as both New York and Tampa Bay were obviously looking to upgrade their bullpens and each at least took at look at Jenks.
Added significance: between Jenks at $6 million this year and Papelbon at, what, $11-12 million after arbitration, there is some serious weight at the back end of the bullpen in Boston. And Daniel Bard is now the absolute best middle reliever in baseball.
2: 44 PM: Heyman is now saying that he’s hearing Jenks is close to a deal with — get this — the Red Sox. We weren’t expecting that.
11:59 AM: Jon Heyman reports that Bobby Jenks is looking or “closer money” — he thinks $8 million a year, and for that reason Bobby Jenks is not a candidate for the Yankees. Who, as you’re probably aware, have a closer who makes twice that already. I think he’d be great as a setup guy in New York, but I think a lot of things.
Last night I reported that the Rays were in negotiations with Jenks. I was a bit off on that “he could sign with the Rays as soon as tonight” thing, obviously, but my source tells me that they’re still interested in him — “deep discussion” is the way it was characterized to me — and he would presumably stand to be their closer if they signed him. Which is probably what he wants to be. In light of the $8 million demand about which Heyman speculates, however, the Rays may be hesitant.
Mostly though, I’d like to see the Rays thing work out because then Heyman would do his usual thing and tweet “Calcaterra was the first one who reported the Rays’ interest” like he does with other writers. Which I’m sure he’d do in my case, right?
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 54
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)