Dec 16, 2010, 2:50 PM EDT
UPDATE: Buster Olney says it’s done: Bobby Jenks has agreed to a two-year, $12 million deal with the Red Sox. This came out of left field.
Significance: once again the Red Sox have beat their AL East rivals this offseason, as both New York and Tampa Bay were obviously looking to upgrade their bullpens and each at least took at look at Jenks.
Added significance: between Jenks at $6 million this year and Papelbon at, what, $11-12 million after arbitration, there is some serious weight at the back end of the bullpen in Boston. And Daniel Bard is now the absolute best middle reliever in baseball.
2: 44 PM: Heyman is now saying that he’s hearing Jenks is close to a deal with — get this — the Red Sox. We weren’t expecting that.
11:59 AM: Jon Heyman reports that Bobby Jenks is looking or “closer money” — he thinks $8 million a year, and for that reason Bobby Jenks is not a candidate for the Yankees. Who, as you’re probably aware, have a closer who makes twice that already. I think he’d be great as a setup guy in New York, but I think a lot of things.
Last night I reported that the Rays were in negotiations with Jenks. I was a bit off on that “he could sign with the Rays as soon as tonight” thing, obviously, but my source tells me that they’re still interested in him — “deep discussion” is the way it was characterized to me — and he would presumably stand to be their closer if they signed him. Which is probably what he wants to be. In light of the $8 million demand about which Heyman speculates, however, the Rays may be hesitant.
Mostly though, I’d like to see the Rays thing work out because then Heyman would do his usual thing and tweet “Calcaterra was the first one who reported the Rays’ interest” like he does with other writers. Which I’m sure he’d do in my case, right?
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 0
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 2
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 20
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (104)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner