How Kristen Lee and the kids influenced Cliff Lee’s decision

Dec 16, 2010, 10:03 AM EDT

Cliff Lee Family

There’s a good story over at Philly.com — pointed out to me by Jonny 5 — talking to the Lee family about what went into the decision to go back to the Phillies.  Kristen Lee plays down the anti-New York stuff that popped up a couple of months ago.  The image of a couple of Arkansas kids who just wanted to be near home is put to rest as well. Like a lot of people, the Lees seem to like experiencing different things.  Six months back home in Arkansas is great, but six months in a city with the kinds of cultural opportunities Philadelphia offers is great too.  How novel.

The thing that sticks out to me.  Kristen Lee’s comments about how “we were traded to Philadelphia” in 2009.  Almost every time you read a story in which a player’s wife is quoted, they talk about when “we” were traded or when “we signed” with such and such a team.  It’s easy to forget the family aspects of player moves — and easy to mock them when they become a big story — but the “we” thing is very real.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Dec 16, 2010 at 10:06 AM

It’s certainly more real than when fans or announcers say “we” when referencing their favorite team. Don’t you agree Hawk?

2. BC - Dec 16, 2010 at 10:09 AM

All I can say about Mrs. Lee is…. YOW! Good gravy did Cliffy luck into that! Whoa!

• bradwins - Dec 16, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Wow. Really BC? I’m not here to insult anyone, but by professional athlete/Nine-figure-contract standards I am not all that impressed. I actually give Lee credit for sticking with her after making it big. And based on other photos I have seen, this one is actually flattering.

3. pundyveit - Dec 16, 2010 at 10:19 AM

She looks like she’s twelve, you perv. I thought she was his daughter at first.

• BC - Dec 16, 2010 at 10:33 AM

At my age, every one looks like they’re twelve….

• paulie102704 - Dec 16, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Agreed. She looks like she never hit puberty and really is not that attractive. The $120M could have done much better if we are solely basing his wife on looks….

• Ace - Dec 16, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Wait, guys, I see the source of the confusion here. I think his wife is actually the one in the top right of the photo, not the bottom right. Although a caption would have been helpful.

• BC - Dec 16, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Actually I think she’s quite good looking. Not Drew Barrymore category, but definitely way above the midpoint.

• Daniel - Dec 16, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Oh man who is this guy Paulie from Jersey Shore? You people are terrible.

4. Jonny 5 - Dec 16, 2010 at 10:22 AM

“We” could also be directly translated into “I” when a wife is saying it. Because when she say’s “we” it means “I want” and my hubby WILL (icy death stare may be involved) listen if he knows what’s good for him…

• Utley's Hair - Dec 16, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Amen, brother. But “we” almost always disappears once that task is completed, being replaced by “I”—meaning she. Unless, of course, it was done in an unsatisfactory way, which is when it is replaced by you—meaning me—and followed by “will fix it” through gritted teeth, while the icy stare is somehow maintained, while she rolls her eyes.

And as for the other prevalent topic, I’m with BC and kjp1.

5. DaGooch1979 - Dec 16, 2010 at 10:31 AM

It’s good to know that the whole “spitting and beer” incident was blown out of proportion and that Lee just went where he wanted to go . . . Still sucks for my Yankees though.

6. kjp1 - Dec 16, 2010 at 11:10 AM

This is an old picture. His son and daughter are 9 and 7 now. Look at pics from yesterday’s press conference. She looks like a pretty girl in her early 30’s.

• paulie102704 - Dec 16, 2010 at 2:46 PM

nope still ugly….

7. kjp1 - Dec 16, 2010 at 11:17 AM

8. Lucas - Dec 16, 2010 at 11:28 AM

kjp1-

Yep, you’re right, she definitely looks older and prettier now (and not like she’s 12). That makes me feel better about Mr. Lee…

9. cshearing - Dec 16, 2010 at 11:57 AM

So, in one thread we have people going off on Cowherd for talking falsely about AJ Burnett’s non-divorce, and damning the idea of gossip and such. Then, in this thread, we have a large conversation about how hot Cliff Lee’s wife is. See the irony there, guys?

• Craig Calcaterra - Dec 16, 2010 at 11:59 AM

I see no irony. In one instance a guy was passing along false information that was damaging to people. In another, guys are offering their own opinions about how hot someone is.

I’m not necessarily happy that all of these knuckleheads are reducing someone to their physical traits — it’s kind of juvenile in my view — but they’re totally different things.

• nps6724 - Dec 16, 2010 at 12:19 PM

People really need to quit using the word “irony” if they don’t know what it means or how to use it.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 16, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Agreed.

10. sportsdrenched - Dec 16, 2010 at 12:41 PM

I know from personal experience that deciding where to live is a “we” thing. However, That’s not always the case in some families. Not just in professional sports, but there’s also a lot of, “I’m the one getting paid, damn what the rest of you think.” Glad to see Cliff, at least on the outside is a, family man. (Now, watch multiple reports surface about a GF in every AL City)

And while Kristen doesn’t look like something I would pursue. You certainly wouldn’t kick her out of bed for eating crackers.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 16, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Ah, the old Crackers and Cookies legal test returns.

11. deathtoallpoets - Dec 16, 2010 at 6:06 PM

wow, I can’t believe people are really talking about cliff lee’s wife like he can do better. Your all stupid, and delusional to thinking that looks are all that matters. Get bent, go Cliff Lee.

12. macjacmccoy - Dec 17, 2010 at 2:06 AM

exactly what I said the other day in 1 of the other posts comment section. That if people think its just the player who decides where he will play then there nuts. Its the whole family’s decision. I bet if Kristen said I am not going to NY Lee wouldnt have went and if she said I am not staying in Texas Cliff would leave too.

Craig me and you are finally on the same page.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3239)