Dec 16, 2010, 10:03 AM EDT
There’s a good story over at Philly.com — pointed out to me by Jonny 5 — talking to the Lee family about what went into the decision to go back to the Phillies. Kristen Lee plays down the anti-New York stuff that popped up a couple of months ago. The image of a couple of Arkansas kids who just wanted to be near home is put to rest as well. Like a lot of people, the Lees seem to like experiencing different things. Six months back home in Arkansas is great, but six months in a city with the kinds of cultural opportunities Philadelphia offers is great too. How novel.
The thing that sticks out to me. Kristen Lee’s comments about how “we were traded to Philadelphia” in 2009. Almost every time you read a story in which a player’s wife is quoted, they talk about when “we” were traded or when “we signed” with such and such a team. It’s easy to forget the family aspects of player moves — and easy to mock them when they become a big story — but the “we” thing is very real.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 15
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 42
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 32
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)