Dec 16, 2010, 10:03 AM EDT
There’s a good story over at Philly.com — pointed out to me by Jonny 5 — talking to the Lee family about what went into the decision to go back to the Phillies. Kristen Lee plays down the anti-New York stuff that popped up a couple of months ago. The image of a couple of Arkansas kids who just wanted to be near home is put to rest as well. Like a lot of people, the Lees seem to like experiencing different things. Six months back home in Arkansas is great, but six months in a city with the kinds of cultural opportunities Philadelphia offers is great too. How novel.
The thing that sticks out to me. Kristen Lee’s comments about how “we were traded to Philadelphia” in 2009. Almost every time you read a story in which a player’s wife is quoted, they talk about when “we” were traded or when “we signed” with such and such a team. It’s easy to forget the family aspects of player moves — and easy to mock them when they become a big story — but the “we” thing is very real.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)