Dec 16, 2010, 10:03 AM EDT
There’s a good story over at Philly.com — pointed out to me by Jonny 5 — talking to the Lee family about what went into the decision to go back to the Phillies. Kristen Lee plays down the anti-New York stuff that popped up a couple of months ago. The image of a couple of Arkansas kids who just wanted to be near home is put to rest as well. Like a lot of people, the Lees seem to like experiencing different things. Six months back home in Arkansas is great, but six months in a city with the kinds of cultural opportunities Philadelphia offers is great too. How novel.
The thing that sticks out to me. Kristen Lee’s comments about how “we were traded to Philadelphia” in 2009. Almost every time you read a story in which a player’s wife is quoted, they talk about when “we” were traded or when “we signed” with such and such a team. It’s easy to forget the family aspects of player moves — and easy to mock them when they become a big story — but the “we” thing is very real.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)