Dec 16, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
Last month the Tigers declined their $15 million option on Magglio Ordonez for 2011, but after shopping around for a new team Ordonez has decided to return to Detroit on a one-year deal worth two-thirds the salary.
Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that Ordonez turned down two-year offers elsewhere to re-sign for $10 million, citing his loyalty to Tigers owner Mike Ilitch. That may be true, but $10 million for one year is the same deal Carlos Pena got from the Cubs and several other veteran corner outfielders and designated hitters signed for less, so it’s hardly a big discount for the 37-year-old.
Ordonez can still hit at age 37, batting .303/.378/.474 this season and a combined .311/.376/.466 over the past three seasons, but he missed the final 65 games of the year with a fractured ankle and had become a liability defensively even before suffering the injury in late July. Victor Martinez’s presence makes hiding Ordonez’s glove at DH unlikely, but the Tigers are willing to give up some defense to keep another big bat in the lineup.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)