Dec 16, 2010, 8:49 PM EDT
Most of this is already known, but it’s worth revisiting anyway.
The Yankees, Red Sox and Nationals are all on that list. (Got most of that, too)
The Rangers, Angels and Tigers, however, are not. (Some of that is new)
Greinke has expressed a strong desire to leave Kansas City, so none of this stuff might matter in the long run if he really wants to get out of town. But it’s safe to assume that the right-hander’s past anxiety issues have a lot to do with his decision to name cities like New York, Boston and D.C. on his no-trade list. Most young pitchers would eat up the idea of big city attention, but Greinke doesn’t seem to operate like most pitchers.
The market for the ace right-hander is expected to pick up in the next few weeks now that Cliff Lee is signed, sealed, delivered. A host of teams are interested, but it’s going to take a serious package of prospects to get a deal worked out.
Jayson Stark of ESPN.com heard earlier this month that the Royals are looking for “up-the-middle” youngsters: shortstops, second basemen and center fielders. Kansas City already has a ton of pitching talent coming through the pipeline, along with a future stud catcher in Wil Myers, a future slugger in first baseman Eric Hosmer and a potential star third baseman in Mike Moustakas.
Let the bidding begin.
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 20
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 68
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (126)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)