Dec 16, 2010, 8:49 PM EDT
Most of this is already known, but it’s worth revisiting anyway.
The Yankees, Red Sox and Nationals are all on that list. (Got most of that, too)
The Rangers, Angels and Tigers, however, are not. (Some of that is new)
Greinke has expressed a strong desire to leave Kansas City, so none of this stuff might matter in the long run if he really wants to get out of town. But it’s safe to assume that the right-hander’s past anxiety issues have a lot to do with his decision to name cities like New York, Boston and D.C. on his no-trade list. Most young pitchers would eat up the idea of big city attention, but Greinke doesn’t seem to operate like most pitchers.
The market for the ace right-hander is expected to pick up in the next few weeks now that Cliff Lee is signed, sealed, delivered. A host of teams are interested, but it’s going to take a serious package of prospects to get a deal worked out.
Jayson Stark of ESPN.com heard earlier this month that the Royals are looking for “up-the-middle” youngsters: shortstops, second basemen and center fielders. Kansas City already has a ton of pitching talent coming through the pipeline, along with a future stud catcher in Wil Myers, a future slugger in first baseman Eric Hosmer and a potential star third baseman in Mike Moustakas.
Let the bidding begin.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)