Dec 16, 2010, 11:48 AM EDT
According to Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com “the Rangers continue to keep in contact with Vladimir Guerrero’s agent, but don’t appear to be in any rush to nail down what they’ll do about the designated hitter position in 2011.”
Other veteran DH options like Hideki Matsui, Jack Cust, Lance Berkman, and Pat Burrell are off the market, but there’s still no shortage of capable bats looking for one-year deals if the Rangers can’t find common ground with Guerrero.
He’s said to be seeking a two-year contract, but at age 36 the Rangers surely want to avoid a multi-year commitment and Guerrero’s lackluster late-season performance was worrisome following a very strong first half.
General manager Jon Daniels talked about potentially finding a DH who offered “a little bit more flexible roster” than Guerrero, who was exposed badly when spotted in right field during the playoffs.
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 0
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 48
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)