Dec 16, 2010, 11:48 AM EDT
According to Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com “the Rangers continue to keep in contact with Vladimir Guerrero’s agent, but don’t appear to be in any rush to nail down what they’ll do about the designated hitter position in 2011.”
Other veteran DH options like Hideki Matsui, Jack Cust, Lance Berkman, and Pat Burrell are off the market, but there’s still no shortage of capable bats looking for one-year deals if the Rangers can’t find common ground with Guerrero.
He’s said to be seeking a two-year contract, but at age 36 the Rangers surely want to avoid a multi-year commitment and Guerrero’s lackluster late-season performance was worrisome following a very strong first half.
General manager Jon Daniels talked about potentially finding a DH who offered “a little bit more flexible roster” than Guerrero, who was exposed badly when spotted in right field during the playoffs.
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 100
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 150
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 11
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (152)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)