Dec 16, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that the Braves are close to signing Dan Uggla to a five-year extension worth $60-61 million.
Hurm. Uggla rejected a four-year, $48 million extension from the Marlins before being traded to the Braves last month. At the time it seemed like he was kind of nuts to do so, but given the contracts handed out in the past few weeks, he was pretty darn savvy about things. And in light of the nutso market, I can’t help but think this borders on the reasonable. Heck, at the same salary for an extra year it’s downright frugal.
OK, back to reality: I don’t like National League teams handing out five year deals to poor-fielding middle infielders past the age of 30. At least not teams who are budget-conscious like the Braves are supposed to be. And, you know, when I’m rooting for them.
If he keeps hitting 30 homers a year, cool. If he can adjust to left field or first base, fine. But I think there’s a lot of risk in this deal.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)