The Cleveland Plain Dealer does right by Bob Feller

Dec 16, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT

Beyond reserving the largest fonts for the beginning and the end of World Wars, I have no idea what goes into a newspaper’s decisions on how big headlines should be, what stories should appear above the fold or any of that. But I do know this:  The Cleveland Plain Dealer’s decision to put their Bob Feller story above the title of the newspaper this morning was pretty damn cool.  The story itself can be read here.  Great job, guys.

1. mcsnide - Dec 16, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Wow. First the Lebron cover, then this. That’s a solid year for sports covers. If their non-sports covers are as good as those…

2. Jason @ IIATMS - Dec 16, 2010 at 1:46 PM

What a great picture of Feller.

3. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Dec 16, 2010 at 2:02 PM

This NYT article is pretty awesome in reference to his military service. Just amazing.

• mcsnide - Dec 16, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Great article. The last line about heroes not coming home got me. Every single WW2 vet I’ve ever talked to has said something very similar to that. I know it’s cliche to call those guys the greatest generation, but to grow up in the Depression, win WW2, then come home and build the greatest economic and political superpower the world has ever seen – well, that’s a hell of a generational accomplishment.

4. klbader - Dec 16, 2010 at 4:47 PM

The best part of this cover is that the name of the paper is just the perfect nickname for Bob Feller — the Plain Dealer. Because if what I have read about him today is true — and I have no reason to doubt it — that man could just plain deal.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5518)