The Mets are mulling a multi-year deal for R.A. Dickey. Is this important? Does this mean something?

Dec 16, 2010, 1:30 PM EDT

RA Dickey pitch

This is not news in the sense that something has happened. Nothing has happened yet, actually.  The Daily News is reporting that the Mets are considering whether to offer R.A. Dickey multiple years or give the arbitration-eligible pitcher a one-year deal.  I’m sure this mulling has been occurring since soon after Alderson was hired. What I think is significant, however, is how a decision not to offer Dickey multiple years might be perceived.

As the article notes, Sandy Alderson and his team are trying to figure out if Dickey’s excellent 2010 was a fluke that demands caution going forward or a breakthrough that demands a multiple-year offer.  If they decide it’s the former, I have a suspicion that people may freak out a little bit. Dickey was one of the few bright spots in New York last year, and he became a fan favorite.  I wonder if his fans — in the media and at large — would view this through the same kind of anti-sabermetrics prism that people in Los Angeles viewed Paul Depodesta’s moves with the Dodgers.  Accusing the sabermetrically-inclined Alderson administration of being heartless stat-mongers or something.

Or maybe they won’t. I get the sense that there is quiet optimism among Mets fans on the new front office.  But it’s exactly these sorts of situations — a less-than-sure-thing fan favorite pitted against cool calculation — that are ripe for the battle lines to be drawn. We’ve seen it before. I wonder if we’ll see it again.

1. kevinrohling - Dec 16, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Test

• Gobias Industries - Dec 16, 2010 at 2:17 PM

I think it worked.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 16, 2010 at 4:04 PM

No need to get testy.

2. sdelmonte - Dec 16, 2010 at 1:45 PM

I would be fine taking a wait and see attitude. It was an awesome year, but it would be silly to offer Dickey a longer deal right now, especially since I thought the objective of the 2011 season is in part to get rid of all the bad contracts and start over in a better place.

3. BC - Dec 16, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Go one year and see how it turns out.

4. flyboat44 - Dec 16, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Dickey was fun to watch this year. I hope he gets a 2-3 year deal.

5. Jonny 5 - Dec 16, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Let him go to arbitration. I wouldn’t take that chance, if he’s as good as he was last season, then bring out the lawyers I say and do it. I watched a very entertaining game between Dickey and Blanton. If i remember correctly Blanton pulled a “Buehrle” that night and did a huge belly flop to grab up a trickler up the 1st base line. He nailed it too. Flipped it right over to Howard just in time. The big Lug….. i’m really going to miss him I think……

• Utley's Hair - Dec 16, 2010 at 4:16 PM

He hasn’t been shipped to somebody else’s smorgasbord yet, Jonny. There’s still time for your man crush to be requited—if that’s a word. (Or is it like the whole gruntled-disgruntled thing?)

6. Utley's Hair - Dec 16, 2010 at 4:08 PM

It means the Mutts are trying to take a few games away from the knuckleball-inept Phightins. Maybe the Phils should keep Moyer as a special hitting coach assistant for way off speed stuff, ’cause his fastball is…ya know…way off speed.

Can Nationals run the playoff table?
  1. D. Jeter (3358)