Dec 16, 2010, 5:18 PM EDT
UPDATE: Heyman says the deal is done: three years, plus an option for “about $10 mil.” He adds that Nishioka could play second base or shortstop. Guess it depends on whether the Twins would rather play Alexi Casilla at second or short.
9:30 AM: Heyman says the deal is a three-year deal plus an option year, with the guaranteed money being around $10 million. That would put it at the low-end of the expected range compared to the posting fee, but maybe that option is favorable for Nishioka.
9:15 AM: Ken Rosenthal reports that NPB star Tsuyoshi Nishioka is in Minnesota and is “very close” to signing a deal with the Twins. He’s set for a physical today. Given that the Twins bid $5 million for Nishioka’s bidding rights — and given that Japanese players who previously joined MLB teams through the posting process typically got contracts that were close to the posting fee — Nishioka is expected to receive a multi-year contract worth between $3-5 million per season.
As Aaron has previously observed, it’s not clear what the Twins are getting in Nishioka. Yes, he won the batting title this year by hitting .346, but that may have been a fluke. Before 2010 he was a career .280 hitter. He batted just .260 in 2009 and he doesn’t have much in the way of power. He’s fast, however, and he’s supposed to have a pretty nifty glove. Given how thin the shortstop position is in the American League, he could be a nice pickup.
Or he could be Kaz Matsui.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)