UPDATE: Yankees downplay the Rafael Soriano thing. Not that it doesn’t make sense.

Dec 16, 2010, 4:59 PM EDT

Rafael Soriano Rays

UPDATE: Not so fast on the Soriano stuff.  Mark Feinsand just spoke to a Yankees official and he downplayed the idea, saying “the price is going to be too high.”  And it will be too high, objectively speaking, for a setup man.  But it’s not like the Yankees (a) couldn’t use the help in the pen; and (b) could’t afford it.  And as some of you mentioned in the comments section, filling out the pen could help shake Joba Chamberlain free for a trade.  I mean, sure, the Yankees don’t see him as a starter anymore, but someone might, and he could form the basis of a package that could get a useful starting pitcher in return.

3:59 PM: The arms race is getting out of control. The Red Sox get Jenks?  Fine. The Yankees want Rafael Soriano. Mark Feinsand of the Daily News:

According to a source with knowledge of the Yankees’ thinking, the Bombers are “exploring” the option of signing Soriano, the All-Star closer who pitched last year for the Rays. With plenty of money to spare in the wake of Cliff Lee’s return to Philadelphia, the Yankees have held preliminary discussions with Scott Boras about Soriano, the source said.

Soriano used to be the best setup guy in baseball. In New York he’d have that role again. And, if it was a three-year deal, he could be Mariano Rivera’s heir.

In other news, if the Yankees did get Soriano — and if the Red Sox don’t find a sucker to take Papelbon — they and the Sox would have four of the top eight closers — at least in terms of saves — from the 2010 season on their rosters.  Which is cool with me because (a) who cares about saves; and (b) both the Jenks and Soriano signings would address legitimate needs for each team, but you figure a lot of people will freak out about this.

1. phukyouk - Dec 16, 2010 at 4:06 PM

DO EET! but i would still have had Kerry Wood back. cashman sucks!

2. Utley's Hair - Dec 16, 2010 at 4:25 PM

This title and Heyward’s [insert wang joke here] comment on the Wang post are almost too much.

3. uyf1950 - Dec 16, 2010 at 4:37 PM

If the Yankees were able to land both Soriano & Feliciano that would certainly solve all of the bullpen issues the Yankees had during last season. It also would most certainly make Joba available as trade bait combined with a couple of “prospects”. If Pettitte does come back the Yankees might be able to package 3 players like Joba, Nova and a prospect or 2 for a strong #2 starting pitcher. All 3 players would be inexpensive and potentially attractive to a low revenue team like the Indians.

• pisano - Dec 16, 2010 at 4:52 PM

I like it, I said from the beginning they should get Soriano and John Buck,well Buck is long gone,(Russell Martin is just fine) but Soriano is out there and his signing would stick it to the rest of the AL for set up and closing situations. Do it Yanks!!!

• uyf1950 - Dec 16, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Just for an example. The Yankees were willing to pay Lee $22 to $24M per year. Based on those numbers the Yankees could probably get the services of: Carmona from the Indians $6.3M due in 2011. Soriano FA $10 to $12M per for 3 or 4 years. Feliciano about $4M per for 2 or 3 years. Total for the 3 pitchers about $22M +/- per year. About the same as they would have paid for Lee on a yearly basis. I think if I’m the Yankees I do it. It obviously assumes the Yankees can work out a trade with Cleveland packaging Joba, Nova and a prospect or 2. I think it’s a no brainer. Also there are no really long team contracts the Yankees would be obligated to here. Throw money at Pettitte for 1 year and the Yankees have their starting rotation and bullpen.

• phukyouk - Dec 16, 2010 at 10:55 PM

@uyf1950 – i tend to like your ideas… this time i think you may be high (not that there is anything wrong with that) but to give up Joba,Nova and TWO prospects for carmona? no way man… i wouldnt have given that up for Lee. yes for Zach and Felix but not for Carmona. Joba is useless and Nova is CURRENTLY our 5th starter (If andy doesnt come back hes our 4th) and two prospects is alot. i say Joba a top prospect and PTBNL but not that.

• uyf1950 - Dec 16, 2010 at 11:18 PM

To phukyoul – I don’t have a problem with your suggestion. I guess I was referring to 2 lower level prospects with reference to Carmona. I think Joba is cooked. The Yankees need to do something to get value for him before it’s to late. I agree about Nova. But if Andy re signs and the Yankees were able to work out a trade say with Cleveland for Carmona there is no room on the Yankee roster, at least not at a starting position for Nova. Like I said if the starting rotation would look like: CC, Pettitte, Carmona, Hughes & AJ (unfortunately). I say unfortunately about AJ because the Yankees have no choice due to his contract but to keep him in the rotation be it at #5. I like Nova to but unfortunately he’s probably 2 years away from being a reliable starter. I saw several of the games he pitched in this past year and he’s good for about 4 innings sometimes 5 after that he usually gets in big trouble. By the time Nova’s ready (2013) the FA market in starting pitchers is going to be pretty good and you can count on the Yankees going after a couple of starters to offset the loss of Pettitte and presumably AJ (by then). Just my thought, sometime you have to give up something to get something.

• uyf1950 - Dec 16, 2010 at 11:50 PM

To phukyouk – I classify this post as my “I can dream” option. I know the Mariners have money to spend so that’s not the issue. Winning is. I have a dream that in a year or 2 King Felix says he wants to be traded. Tired of all the losing he request a trade. Granted the Mariners wouldn’t have to give in they certainly have the funds to keep him. But what pitcher of King Felix’s caliber wants to be stuck on a team that is going nowhere. Like I said I consider the post the “I can dream” post.
        I’m sure Mariner fans that might see this will take exception to my comments and probably give us 100 reasons King Felix would never request a trade or what Seattle’s plans are to “right” the ship a may very well be right if they do.

4. larryhockett - Dec 16, 2010 at 4:54 PM

I’m freaking out about this.

5. phukyouk - Dec 16, 2010 at 4:59 PM

im jnot going to hold out to much hope seeing as how Soriano made it clear that he wants a closing joba nd closer $$$. same reason that the Yanks wont get Soria.

• uyf1950 - Dec 16, 2010 at 11:28 PM

I don’t know, Soriano might be convinced, pay him closer money ($10 to $12M per for 3 or 4 years) with the commitment that when Mo retires the job is his if he does the set up job. It’s a no lose situation for him, I think.

6. pisano - Dec 16, 2010 at 5:14 PM

That’s BS on the latest update, if they were going to throw an extra 20 – 30 mil. for Lee they can sign Soriano. What if Mo breaks down? hell he’s 41 yrs. old.They would be stupid not to get Soriano, he’s your closer in the wings.

7. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 16, 2010 at 5:36 PM

The Yanks are better off going for Fuentes and Beimel.

• uyf1950 - Dec 16, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Not a bad option. I still like the combination of Soriano and Feliciano a little better. Soriano does provide or could provide the Yankees with a closer “in waiting”.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 17, 2010 at 10:34 AM

If they signed Soriano, he’d be making near-Rivera money. $25 million annually for two relievers doesn’t make fiscal sense.

• phukyouk - Dec 16, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Fuentes is washed up.

• byjiminy - Dec 16, 2010 at 11:52 PM

Fuentes in 2010:

4-1 record, 24 saves, and a 2.81 ERA, with 47 k’s in 48 innings. In his last 9 appearances of the season, after being traded to the Twins, he had a 0.00 ERA and a 0.094 BAA, putting his batting average against for the season below .200. I could live with that.

8. yopp1234 - Dec 17, 2010 at 5:45 AM

Brian Fuentes is a bum and never has won a big game in his life. As for Soriano we dont need him the wood singing hurt alot.. Can anyone tell me what the fuck cash is doing?

• phukyouk - Dec 17, 2010 at 9:14 AM

“Can anyone tell me what the fuck cash is doing”

im pretty sure that Brian himself could not answer that question.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 17, 2010 at 10:31 AM

A big game? Really? Crazy arguments in this blog all too often.

9. phukyouk - Dec 17, 2010 at 9:16 AM

I know im going to sound like a spoiled Brat but a 2.81 ERA for a closer… or a setup man is not good by any means. you figure they are coming into a game that either 1 or 2 runs up. and yes he had a good run at the end of the season but if i am not mistaken the Twins had already clinched thier spot at that point ( i may be wrong) so no real pressure there. i dont want Fuetnes but i would not mind unloading Joba a prospect AND AJ for carmona… hell i would to that for Yooklis if it meant getting rid of AJ.

10. jfk69 - Dec 17, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Three years 36 million with a team option for the fourth. The Yankees have been lucky riding the Rivera pony for ten straight years. If Rivera goes down their season is finished. With Soriano and Rivera the game is now six innings instead of nine.

11. jfk69 - Dec 17, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Cashman…Don’t screw this up.
    After signing Soriano then give the Indians a call. Fausto for Joba,one of the killer bees and Cervelli or Romine.

• uyf1950 - Dec 17, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Well said my friend. As the old Nike ad used to say ‘JUST DO IT”.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto