Dec 17, 2010, 9:20 AM EST
Resolved: the closer it gets to last call, the more attractive that guy at the end of the bar appears to be (or that girl, depending on your predilections). Brandon Webb and his wonky shoulder are apparently counting on that:
According to a baseball source, Washington continues to be in the mix to acquire right-hander Brandon Webb. The source said Webb is not in a hurry to make a decision.
Chien Ming-Wang just got a $1 million contract with $5 million in potential incentives. And of course last year Ben Sheets got $8 million. Sheets waited until the end of January to sign. The longer Webb waits, the better he will look to pitching-desperate teams.
But even if there isn’t a sucker as big as the A’s were for Sheets last year, I’d say there is less clarity about how to weigh — contractually speaking — the risk of signing injured pitchers than there is about anything else out there. Webb can probably use that to his advantage.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)