Dec 17, 2010, 9:20 AM EDT
Resolved: the closer it gets to last call, the more attractive that guy at the end of the bar appears to be (or that girl, depending on your predilections). Brandon Webb and his wonky shoulder are apparently counting on that:
According to a baseball source, Washington continues to be in the mix to acquire right-hander Brandon Webb. The source said Webb is not in a hurry to make a decision.
Chien Ming-Wang just got a $1 million contract with $5 million in potential incentives. And of course last year Ben Sheets got $8 million. Sheets waited until the end of January to sign. The longer Webb waits, the better he will look to pitching-desperate teams.
But even if there isn’t a sucker as big as the A’s were for Sheets last year, I’d say there is less clarity about how to weigh — contractually speaking — the risk of signing injured pitchers than there is about anything else out there. Webb can probably use that to his advantage.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 51
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 107
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (107)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)