Dec 17, 2010, 9:20 AM EST
Resolved: the closer it gets to last call, the more attractive that guy at the end of the bar appears to be (or that girl, depending on your predilections). Brandon Webb and his wonky shoulder are apparently counting on that:
According to a baseball source, Washington continues to be in the mix to acquire right-hander Brandon Webb. The source said Webb is not in a hurry to make a decision.
Chien Ming-Wang just got a $1 million contract with $5 million in potential incentives. And of course last year Ben Sheets got $8 million. Sheets waited until the end of January to sign. The longer Webb waits, the better he will look to pitching-desperate teams.
But even if there isn’t a sucker as big as the A’s were for Sheets last year, I’d say there is less clarity about how to weigh — contractually speaking — the risk of signing injured pitchers than there is about anything else out there. Webb can probably use that to his advantage.
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 0
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 21
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)