Dec 17, 2010, 10:48 PM EST
UPDATE: Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that Gomez will earn $1.5 million in 2011, up from his $1.1 million salary in 2010.
8:38 PM: According to Adam McCalvy of MLB.com, the Brewers and Carlos Gomez avoided arbitration today by agreeing on a one-year contract.
Terms aren’t yet available, but Gomez made $1.1 million in his first time through the arbitration process as a “Super Two” last offseason.
Gomez, 25, batted just .247/.298/.357 over 291 at-bats with the Brewers this past season, disturbingly similar to his career batting line of .246/.293/.349 over 1,420 major league plate appearances. The former top prospect is still an asset defensively and possesses plus-speed, but it’s hard to do much damage if you can’t get to first base.
There was some debate about whether Gomez was going to be non-tendered earlier this month, but Brewers general manager Doug Melvin recently told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that Lorenzo Cain was not going to be handed the starting center fielder job. There’s still a chance that Gomez will be traded, but if not, look for some competition during spring training.
And yes, I only did this story so I could post that picture.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)