Dec 17, 2010, 10:48 PM EST
UPDATE: Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that Gomez will earn $1.5 million in 2011, up from his $1.1 million salary in 2010.
8:38 PM: According to Adam McCalvy of MLB.com, the Brewers and Carlos Gomez avoided arbitration today by agreeing on a one-year contract.
Terms aren’t yet available, but Gomez made $1.1 million in his first time through the arbitration process as a “Super Two” last offseason.
Gomez, 25, batted just .247/.298/.357 over 291 at-bats with the Brewers this past season, disturbingly similar to his career batting line of .246/.293/.349 over 1,420 major league plate appearances. The former top prospect is still an asset defensively and possesses plus-speed, but it’s hard to do much damage if you can’t get to first base.
There was some debate about whether Gomez was going to be non-tendered earlier this month, but Brewers general manager Doug Melvin recently told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that Lorenzo Cain was not going to be handed the starting center fielder job. There’s still a chance that Gomez will be traded, but if not, look for some competition during spring training.
And yes, I only did this story so I could post that picture.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 56
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)