Dec 17, 2010, 10:48 PM EDT
UPDATE: Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that Gomez will earn $1.5 million in 2011, up from his $1.1 million salary in 2010.
8:38 PM: According to Adam McCalvy of MLB.com, the Brewers and Carlos Gomez avoided arbitration today by agreeing on a one-year contract.
Terms aren’t yet available, but Gomez made $1.1 million in his first time through the arbitration process as a “Super Two” last offseason.
Gomez, 25, batted just .247/.298/.357 over 291 at-bats with the Brewers this past season, disturbingly similar to his career batting line of .246/.293/.349 over 1,420 major league plate appearances. The former top prospect is still an asset defensively and possesses plus-speed, but it’s hard to do much damage if you can’t get to first base.
There was some debate about whether Gomez was going to be non-tendered earlier this month, but Brewers general manager Doug Melvin recently told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that Lorenzo Cain was not going to be handed the starting center fielder job. There’s still a chance that Gomez will be traded, but if not, look for some competition during spring training.
And yes, I only did this story so I could post that picture.
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 12
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 58
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)