Carl Crawford will be thanked

Dec 17, 2010, 10:20 AM EST

Carl Crawford running

Remember how the guys from DRaysBay were trying to collect money to create and place an ad in the Tampa Bay Times saying thank you to Carl Crawford for all of his years of service to Rays Nation?  Well, they did it.  Here’s what it looks like.  Here’s the DraysBay guys’ thank you to the thank you-supporters.  I love it when a plan comes together.

This actually has me misty. No, I’m not getting sentimental at the gesture. I’m sad because this is likely the last time I can use this pic of Crawford running the bases. One of my top five favorites since we started the blog up. Oh well. All good things, as they say.

In other news, it is not inaccurate to refer to Rays fans as “Rays Nation.”  Nauru is a nation. So is San Marino, Liechtenstein and Andorra. By the way, click that link for Nauru and scroll down to the pic of their parliament. It looks like a Best Western.  Pretty awesome!

1. billtpa - Dec 17, 2010 at 10:25 AM

I can’t be the only one who’s a little bothered by this. It’s an ad for their blog (referenced three times on the page), paid for mostly by other people. Any realistic chance Crawford even sees this?

I’m familiar with the site and I like it, nothing against those people. This just seems a little odd/wrong to me.

• Steve Slowinski - Dec 17, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Yes, there’s a very realistic chance. We’ve got contacts and are passing the word along.

I know a lot of people view it as an ad for our blog, and I get that…but it’s not. None of us are getting anything extra out of this from it. I don’t get paid more for more traffic, and I’d rather focus on site quality than traffic anyway. If it was about an ad for the site, I wouldn’t have bothered putting the time into this….it was waaay too much of a hassle for me to organize.

The big thing is, I wanted to honestly thank Crawford for his time with the Rays, and I wanted to show the world/media that Rays fans DO exist and we’re not as crappy as they make us out to be. You can’t imagine how frustrating it is to hear your market denigrated every single time your team is on national television…ugh.

I was disappointed we couldn’t get the DRB ’10 off the picture before it went to the presses (it was an photo from our annual publication), but things got sped up because Crawford signed so fast.

• billtpa - Dec 18, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Steve, thanks for the response. I also got a similar, polite explanation from Erik, which was kind of the opposite of what I was expecting when he asked for my email address. :)

I don’t doubt, having seen both your explanations, that your intentions were good. And maybe I really am the only one who had that kind of reaction to it. Not my kind of thing, I guess, but I understand it a lot better now. (But yeah, taking out that “DRB ’10” would’ve made a big difference, IMO.) Thanks again…

2. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Dec 17, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Rays fans will see him plenty. He’ll come down to Tampa on about nine occasions next season and help his team beat the crap out of the Rays each and every time.

3. Detroit Michael - Dec 17, 2010 at 11:53 AM

From the link, “Naurans are among the most obese people on earth.” So are they a nation of couch potatoes? Don’t make fun of Nauru!

4. bradwins - Dec 17, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Classy move. When a star leaves a city, most of the time the fans are angry and spiteful. I give these guys a lot of credit for taking this approach instead.

As a Red Sox fan, I’ve always secretly rooted for the Rays, too. Maybe they would not want that type of support – maybe they would consider it condescending. But, just the same, I’ve admired their patience and their acumen in scouting and developing players in a way that allowed them to compete in, and win, the toughest division in sports.

So I am obviously excited to add Carl Crawford to my Red Sox. I think he will be a great fit in Boston and will enjoy playing in a packed house every night in front of an intelligent baseball crowd. But I also feel a little guilty about being the type of club that bullies teams like the Rays and takes their best homegrown talent away. If my conscience is eased about the Red Sox ability to sign players like Crawford away from teams like the Rays, it is through the knowledge that if it weren’t for the Sox then the Yankees would do it for everyone and there would be nobody to keep them in check.

5. ta192 - Dec 17, 2010 at 2:37 PM

I think it’s pretty damn classy. Of course, Marlins fans could never consider doing anything like that. They’d go broke thanking the talent that management/ownership keeps shipping out of town…

6. Ick McWang - Dec 18, 2010 at 1:30 AM

The local Rays radio pregame and postgame guy likes to refer to Rays fans as he Rays Republic. It fits I suppose and isn’t ripping off Nation or Empire.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2793)
  2. W. Myers (2552)
  3. D. Ross (2228)
  4. C. McGehee (2141)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1993)
  1. J. Shields (1898)