Dec 17, 2010, 3:13 PM EDT
From the Department of Does Anyone Besides Marketing People Think This is a Good Idea:
Major League Baseball will continue talks next month on a plan that would pit the World Series winner against Japan’s champion.
The linked article talks about nothing besides the weather in the respective championship cities. But I’m not terribly concerned about that. Mostly because it would almost certainly be the case that a neutral site was picked. There are a lot of domes in Japan. I’m sure U.S. games would be played so late in the year that they’d have to move to Milwaukee or Seattle or Los Angeles or something anyway.
No, what I’m worried about is when the ace pitcher of the World Series champ blows his arm out while pitching his 300th inning of the year, all in the interests of defeating the Chiba Lotte Marines. Not to slight the Marines — fine ballclub, I’m sure — but that’s not what the Giants are playing Tim Lincecum to do. And it’s certainly not what Giants fans want to see. I’m guessing the same goes for Marines fans and their ace too.
This idea is about nothing but marketing.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 27
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 20
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 54
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)