Dec 17, 2010, 3:13 PM EDT
From the Department of Does Anyone Besides Marketing People Think This is a Good Idea:
Major League Baseball will continue talks next month on a plan that would pit the World Series winner against Japan’s champion.
The linked article talks about nothing besides the weather in the respective championship cities. But I’m not terribly concerned about that. Mostly because it would almost certainly be the case that a neutral site was picked. There are a lot of domes in Japan. I’m sure U.S. games would be played so late in the year that they’d have to move to Milwaukee or Seattle or Los Angeles or something anyway.
No, what I’m worried about is when the ace pitcher of the World Series champ blows his arm out while pitching his 300th inning of the year, all in the interests of defeating the Chiba Lotte Marines. Not to slight the Marines — fine ballclub, I’m sure — but that’s not what the Giants are playing Tim Lincecum to do. And it’s certainly not what Giants fans want to see. I’m guessing the same goes for Marines fans and their ace too.
This idea is about nothing but marketing.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 2
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 69
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 75
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 100
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (103)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (100)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)