Does anyone really want to see a U.S. vs. Japan World Series?

Dec 17, 2010, 3:13 PM EDT

Japan Series

From the Department of Does Anyone Besides Marketing People Think This is a Good Idea:

Major League Baseball will continue talks next month on a plan that would pit the World Series winner against Japan’s champion.

The linked article talks about nothing besides the weather in the respective championship cities. But I’m not terribly concerned about that.  Mostly because it would almost certainly be the case that a neutral site was picked. There are a lot of domes in Japan. I’m sure U.S. games would be played so late in the year that they’d have to move to Milwaukee or Seattle or Los Angeles or something anyway.

No, what I’m worried about is when the ace pitcher of the World Series champ blows his arm out while pitching his 300th inning of the year, all in the interests of defeating the Chiba Lotte Marines.  Not to slight the Marines — fine ballclub, I’m sure — but that’s not what the Giants are playing Tim Lincecum to do. And it’s certainly not what Giants fans want to see. I’m guessing the same goes for Marines fans and their ace too.

This idea is about nothing but marketing.

1. uyf1950 - Dec 17, 2010 at 3:28 PM

“Does anyone really want to see a U.S. vs. Japan World Series?” NO!

2. quintjs - Dec 17, 2010 at 3:32 PM

There are various sports around the world that do similar things, and no one is that interested in them either. As a marketing idea goes, it isn’t a very good one.

It would be fun to work for MLB for one day, suggest we actually have enough baseball and be fired.

3. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Dec 17, 2010 at 3:33 PM

I like our egotistical “World” Series the way it is, thank you very much. What’s more American than assuming that the best team we can offer is, hands down, better than any other team anywhere else! USA USA USA! WOOOO!

• Old Gator - Dec 17, 2010 at 4:08 PM

I disagree. It’s been 59 years. Let’s settle this thing once and for all.

• Old Gator - Dec 17, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Heh – make that 69. I think some of that old Puritan body horror got hold of my unconscious for a second.

4. Rosenthals Speling Instrukter - Dec 17, 2010 at 3:34 PM

I am the biggest NPB honk around.

HOWEVER:

If it were this year:
    Game 1
    SF 10
    CHM 0

Game 2
    SF 12
    CHM 1

Game 3
    CHM 0
    SF 11

Game 4
    CHM 0
    SF 10

SF only gets an avg of 10 runs since they are SF. he 2009 Yankees would score about 20 runs.

5. JBerardi - Dec 17, 2010 at 4:31 PM

I’d love (LOVE) to see the “World” series really live up to it’s name. The practicalities of making it actually happen are daunting, though.

6. ta192 - Dec 17, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Sure, why not, grab off some more money, at least all of it isn’t coming out of American pockets…

7. frankvzappa - Dec 17, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Worst. Idea. Ever. We should hold a losers playoff…like have the orioles play the mariners, and the loser of that series faces the best japan has to offer…that way, nobody good will get injured and we can still earn some major bragging rights when our collection of stiffs handily defeats the best they have to offer…

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Dec 17, 2010 at 4:45 PM

The Orioles line-up would see one gyroball and the team would collectively shit their pants.

8. sportsdrenched - Dec 17, 2010 at 4:41 PM

I’d love to see this happen. However, I think MLB would have to shorten the season for that to be viable. No way that is happening.

9. paperlions - Dec 17, 2010 at 4:58 PM

This would be like having the Super Bowl champ play the winner of the Grey Cup; only a handful of players on any Japanese roster could make the bench for most MLB teams. It would be much nicer to Japan to save them from such an event.

10. tomemos - Dec 17, 2010 at 5:07 PM

I’ve often heard this and have always thought that it was among the worst ideas I’ve ever heard.

11. shaggylocks - Dec 17, 2010 at 5:21 PM

I think it’d be a fantastic spring training exhibition game. It wouldn’t mean anything, since everyone would understand that the two clubs are just conditioning for the coming season, but it’d be fun.

12. metalhead65 - Dec 17, 2010 at 8:30 PM

no baseball fan wants to see this.the team that won the world series would care less about playing meaningless games after acheiving their goal. all this would do is give the japs a false sense of superiorty should they win. we already know the best players play major league baseball so aside from money what’s the point?

• handsfour - Dec 19, 2010 at 3:19 PM

because you of course know what all baseball fans think?
      And you really said “Japs”? Go back to your cave.

13. macjacmccoy - Dec 18, 2010 at 2:31 AM

I do. I love it when America beats Japan or China in the little league world series. It would be even better if it was the pros doing it. Its a national pride thing and I think it would be great for the game and the country. I mean I hate soccer I really hate it but I watched every US world cup game this year bc I wanted to see the US win. I think it would do the samething that the World cup does for soccer.

Also Im sick of watching our minor leagues have to play everyone elses best players in the olympics. It pisses me off when they lose cuz it doesnt represent America right. So I would love for a chance to show what American teams are really like to the other countries when Japan has to play our best team.

I mean come on if we have to play minor leaguers in baseball bc we have an advantage how in the heck do they let Canada play so many superstars in hockey when they cleary have an advantage over everyone else too.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3156)