Edgar Renteria is insulted by the Giants’ offer

Dec 17, 2010, 6:14 AM EDT

Renteria running

Noted: ballplayers don’t necessarily appreciate that postseason heroics are often flukey things that don’t serve as a fair representation of their current value. Case in point: Edgar Renteria’s response to the Giants’ offer of one year, $1 million:

“That offer from the Giants was a lack of respect. A total disrespect. To play for a million dollars, I’d rather stay with my private business and share more time with my family. Thank God I’m well off financially and my money is well invested.”

I’m not going to buy the “lack of respect,” angle because, really, that’s not a terribly unfair offer for Renteria at this point, especially seeing as though he’d be a bench player given the Miguel Tejada signing. But it may very well be more cost-effective for Renteria to attend to his businesses than it would be to play baseball for a million dollars. Based on some stuff I’ve read elsewhere, he’s quite the mogul.

He says that if he doesn’t find a better offer someplace that he’ll just stay home. The Marlins are reportedly interested in him, but I’m having a hard time seeing him get a substantially better offer there or anywhere else for that matter.

1. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Dec 17, 2010 at 7:45 AM

Renteria probably has more left in the tank than most people think. I have great deal or respect for him. But, like you, I have a problem with a million dollar offer showing a “lack of respect”. A normally quite guy, Edgar should let his agent do his talking.

2. Brian - Dec 17, 2010 at 8:25 AM

I’d play baseball professionally for $1 million. Hell, I’d surrender myself to the police for Mace training for $1 million. I’d run on the field in Philly and get tased for $1 million. I would be Chase Utley’s footstool for $1 million. But, I would not vomit on anyone for any amount of money, because come on, I have standards.

On a serious note, I’ve always felt that if the player really wanted to, you know, play, baseball, and still has a serious desire to do so, money isn’t a driving force there. If he genuinely wants to play he’ll take whatever he gets.

• Detroit Michael - Dec 17, 2010 at 8:53 AM

Note though how inconsistent we are regarding baseball players’ decisions whether to play at the end of their careers. Often I read disparaging remarks about how a star player “didn’t know when to quit” or “should have retired while he was still near the top of his game” etc. I admire more the Rickey Henderson career path — keep playing as long as possible, even if it’s in an independent league for peanuts, because the guy truly loves the game.

• paperlions - Dec 17, 2010 at 9:32 AM

That dichotomy does not represent inconsistency. Deciding when to quit has nothing to do with a player calling a $1M offer to play insulting; especially when that player is barely worth a roster spot on an MLB team. The players are the ones that are inconsistent; you can’t claim to love playing baseball, to love the game, and then call the only offer you get to play (an amount of money equal to about 20 yrs wages for most people) insulting.

• Detroit Michael - Dec 17, 2010 at 12:05 PM

If a player genuinely wants to play and signs a contract for whatever he gets, do we laud that or do we criticize him for continuing to play when he no longer is very good? I think we’re inconsistent about it.

3. BC - Dec 17, 2010 at 8:54 AM

That offer – in baseball contract terms – was putrid. Can’t blame him for being insulted.

4. sayheykidwschamp - Dec 17, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Bye Edgar…thanks for reminding me why I hated you so much. We signed you for 2 years 18.5M and you delivered squat in those 2 years. That was insulting. The only thing that saved your name in SF was the homer in the WS. Some said that you earned your paycheck with that swing. But just like one swing changed everything…one stupid comment changed everything. You are now back to Rentawreck…go to the Dodgers for all I care. You were lucky we even offered you a million instead of a bill.

5. Jeremiah Graves - Dec 17, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Things you don’t wanna come out and say publicly: “A total disrespect. To play for a million dollars, I’d rather stay with my private business and share more time with my family.”

Too many people are out of work or struggling financial right now for this little sound-byte to not go viral, right?!

6. apbaguy - Dec 17, 2010 at 1:42 PM

He also forgets his injury history, and his history of poor performance with Boston, which sticks in the minds of many of us. Strictly speaking, a million dollar offer isn’t great for a quality SS. But he isn’t one anymore. The market lets you know when it’s time to go.

7. Walk - Dec 17, 2010 at 3:14 PM

“Thank God I’m well off financially and my money is well invested.” That portion of the comment makes me think he really does not want to play at any price short of overpaid. He is well off , ok i can see that, but thats a million in profit he is turning down then most likely as a part time player. I understand if he thinks he was low balled but it is hard to figure the contract he was offered was an insult. As a free agent though it is his right to get the best contract he can, but he needs to be careful burning bridges until he is at the very end of his career. I still think highly of him, i got to see him play a lot with the marlins and braves and he was never an easy out, hopefully he can play at a high level for another season or three.

Final take away from World Series