Feliciano to get a two-year, $8 million deal from the Yankees

Dec 17, 2010, 9:32 AM EDT

New York Mets v Philadelphia Phillies Getty Images

The Yankees have their LOOGY.  Or almost have him. Heyman reports that New York is on the verge of signing Pedro Feliciano to a two-year deal. He’d make $4 million a year. There’s also an option, which I presume would be a team option, but it’s unclear at the moment.

Bob Klapisch was the first to report that the Bombers and Feliciano were close to a deal yesterday.  Feliciano has caused lefties to hit .214/.282/.297 for his career.  Adrian Gonzalez will become quite familiar with his work over the next couple of years.

1. BC - Dec 17, 2010 at 9:47 AM

That’s a good deal. Two years is just right.
    PS. Klapisch is still a chipwich. Bonilla should have planted him when he had the chance.

2. jkay123 - Dec 17, 2010 at 9:53 AM

I like this move a lot, he is tough on lefties and doesn’t have to relocate. I saw a few people (yankee fans) post they wouldn’t be happy about this. Take away the fact he plays for the Mets which usually leaves a sour taste in peoples mouths, and he’s pretty nasty. I just hope girardi doesn’t work him like willie and Jerry did. They should sign balfour, and they’d have a real nasty BP.

Jonny, chase………HAPPY FRIDAY =)

3. Jonny 5 - Dec 17, 2010 at 10:24 AM

This guy is a good pick up, he’ll do a number on Ortiz,Gonzo, and Crawford. But don’t dare use him on Youk.

Hey Jkay, I thought Feliciano would be the big pick up for the Phills pitching staff this off season. I think I won’t complain though… And I liked being wrong about that more than I’ve ever enjoyed being wrong before….

4. uyf1950 - Dec 17, 2010 at 10:40 AM

I agree with the other posters. I think it’s a good deal for the Yankees as well. I still would love to see the Yankees sign Soriano for 3 or 4 years even if they have to pay him $10 to $12M per (closer money). It accomplishes 2 things. First it gives them a lights out set up man. Second it gives them the closer “in waiting” to Mo. They can then throw money at Andy for 1 year to return. And still have some pieces to work a trade for a #2 starting pitcher packaging Nova, one of the catching prospects and Joba. All low cost and attractive to low revenue teams. Ideally I would love to see the Yankees eat about 50% of AJ’s salary ($8M +/- per) so they could move him, but I don’t see that happening. Best case I don’t think AJ will ever be more then a .500 pitcher in NY.

• pisano - Dec 17, 2010 at 11:50 AM

You’re right on with your post. I really like the idea about Soriano, heaven forbid the day Mo brakes down you have Soriano right there to pick up the pieces. Trading Joba is a must the guy is a time bomb you never know what he’ll do, he might be lights out or he might be gasoline on the fire, but they have to move him.

5. proudlycanadian - Dec 17, 2010 at 10:54 AM

It looks like a Feliz Navidad for Feliciano. He will enjoy being overpaid.

6. yankeesfanlen - Dec 17, 2010 at 10:59 AM

This is the new Universe program- Get ALL the relievers then the starter only has to do 3 innings, in which case he would be a reliever too. TLR would love it!

7. jkay123 - Dec 17, 2010 at 11:18 AM

@proudlycanadian, i understand you rip every move and make comments pretty much every time, but how is he overpaid? he’s very tough on lefties and will have to face the redsox a lot this yr which is a lefty heavy lineup. He was the best lefty reliever on the market this offseason.
    yfy1950, i would hold off on trading Nova and one of their catchers just to get a #2. Nova has some good stuff and is only going to improve, for a young kid hes a pretty smart pitcher in the situations I have seen him in. Hughes is only going to get better, Pettite will more than likely to return, even if AJ is a game over 500 it’s an upgrade, they can keep Nova and see what he turns out to be. I def agree with you about Soriano, although if we sign him, “yankees buying closers and a bullpen, overpaying ” etc etc, but its perfectly fine for other teams to do it.
    jonny, i think lee compensates as your lefty signing, ha

• uyf1950 - Dec 17, 2010 at 11:50 AM

I like Nova also and I agree he will improve. Unfortunately, if you noticed this past summer generally speaking he usually went about 4 innings before getting into trouble sometimes serious trouble. I think he’s 2 years away from being a reliable #4 starter, possibly a #3 if he really progresses on the Yankee staff. In 2013 the FA market for starting pitchers looks pretty fertile. You know by then the Yankees will go after 1 probably 2 of them to replace AJ and Andy (he will probably retire in 2012). The Yankees need to upgrade their starting rotation this winter or certainly by the trade deadline in 2011 at the very latest. The Yankee starting rotation as it stands right now (assuming Andy returns) is: CC, Pettitte, Hughes, AJ & Nova. AJ has been horrible and there is no reason to think he will be any more then mediocre in his remaining 3 years. Nova while perhaps a diamond in the rough is still that and will be that for at least another 2 years (in my opinion). I couldn’t agree with you more about Hughes. He most certainly will get even better. The Yankees are doomed to failure if they think they can make any noise in the post season in the next couple of years with just CC, Pettitte and Hughes doing the bulk of the work. As for trading a catching prospect everything I read would indicate the Yankees have 3 potential catchers in the minors that indicate they all can be major league ready in the next 1 to 3 years. That doesn’t include Cervelli. I think (just my opinion) having 4 catchers in the system leaves at least 1 to dangle as trade bait. Again my opinion but I think a package of Joba, catcher (Cervelli or a prospect) and Nova to get a quality starter (strong #2) is the way to go. Then go FA market in 2013.

• pisano - Dec 17, 2010 at 12:07 PM

jk123, don’t even give this snowback the consideration of your reply. He hates the Yankees and is pissed every time they make a move and his Blue Balls (Jays) don’t. How would you feel looking up at the Yankees & Red Sox year after year and your team is a door mat?

8. jkay123 - Dec 17, 2010 at 12:27 PM

You’re right, i was thinking that before, yankees overpay for everyone, he is so happy jeter is back because he is so awful, we have a fat ace etc etc..That’s why they are always looking up at us every yr. With all these horrible moves by upper mgmt, it’s crazy we don’t win 77 games a yr.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet