Dec 17, 2010, 3:36 PM EDT
Craig told us earlier this week that the Padres, Orioles and Nationals were bidding against each other for the remaining free-agent first baseman, the most prominent of which are Derrek Lee and Adam LaRoche. It sounds like the pieces are starting to fall into place.
Jon Heyman of SI.com writes that now that Lee will be too expensive for the Padres now that they have signed Orlando Hudson to a two-year, $11.5 million contract and close are close to completing a deal for Jason Bartlett, who is arbitration-eligible this winter. By the way, Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com hears that Lee appears to be the Nationals’ top target, so assuming the Padres are truly out of the mix here, the O’s should be able to work something out with LaRoche.
Heyman reports that the Padres are considering second-tier options like Troy Glaus, Jorge Cantu and Brad Hawpe, which sounds about right. The team needs a simple stopgap option until either Kyle Blanks returns from Tommy John surgery or the newly-acquired Anthony Rizzo is ready for the big leagues, perhaps late in 2011.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 7
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 5
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)