Dec 17, 2010, 6:29 AM EDT
I continue to watch Jose Canseco’s online meltdown. And as I said the other day, I don’t do so for mocking purposes. I’m genuinely worried about the guy. If you had a friend who spoke frequently about regret and anger and desperation the way Canseco has in the past week, you’d try to get them into counseling.
I guess I wrote the book juiced out of blind anger cause baseball was taken away from me.I am truly sorry for that
This isn’t significant for the book’s sake. It stands on its own and, whatever motivated it, it has largely stood up, factually speaking. But think about it: for the past seven or eight years, “Juiced” has been Canseco’s singular accomplishment and his primary reason for public existence. And he’s now apologizing for it. And downplaying the effects of steroids in multiple other tweets. And begging for a job in baseball. We’re in stages of grief territory here.
I know that playing armchair psychiatrist like this is fraught with peril, but is there anyone else out there worried about this guy? Anyone keeping an eye on him? Are there psychological services available to ex-players through the union or something? Because really, I think this is starting to get a little scary.
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 7
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 196
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 93
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (198)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (93)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (84)