Dec 17, 2010, 6:29 AM EDT
I continue to watch Jose Canseco’s online meltdown. And as I said the other day, I don’t do so for mocking purposes. I’m genuinely worried about the guy. If you had a friend who spoke frequently about regret and anger and desperation the way Canseco has in the past week, you’d try to get them into counseling.
I guess I wrote the book juiced out of blind anger cause baseball was taken away from me.I am truly sorry for that
This isn’t significant for the book’s sake. It stands on its own and, whatever motivated it, it has largely stood up, factually speaking. But think about it: for the past seven or eight years, “Juiced” has been Canseco’s singular accomplishment and his primary reason for public existence. And he’s now apologizing for it. And downplaying the effects of steroids in multiple other tweets. And begging for a job in baseball. We’re in stages of grief territory here.
I know that playing armchair psychiatrist like this is fraught with peril, but is there anyone else out there worried about this guy? Anyone keeping an eye on him? Are there psychological services available to ex-players through the union or something? Because really, I think this is starting to get a little scary.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)