Dec 17, 2010, 6:29 AM EDT
I continue to watch Jose Canseco’s online meltdown. And as I said the other day, I don’t do so for mocking purposes. I’m genuinely worried about the guy. If you had a friend who spoke frequently about regret and anger and desperation the way Canseco has in the past week, you’d try to get them into counseling.
I guess I wrote the book juiced out of blind anger cause baseball was taken away from me.I am truly sorry for that
This isn’t significant for the book’s sake. It stands on its own and, whatever motivated it, it has largely stood up, factually speaking. But think about it: for the past seven or eight years, “Juiced” has been Canseco’s singular accomplishment and his primary reason for public existence. And he’s now apologizing for it. And downplaying the effects of steroids in multiple other tweets. And begging for a job in baseball. We’re in stages of grief territory here.
I know that playing armchair psychiatrist like this is fraught with peril, but is there anyone else out there worried about this guy? Anyone keeping an eye on him? Are there psychological services available to ex-players through the union or something? Because really, I think this is starting to get a little scary.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 21
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)