Dec 17, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
UPDATE: OK, it is official. Basically, anyway: Rosenthal reports that he’s getting two-years and $11.5 million. The deal is done pending a physical. So he does get a raise. And, unlike his last two deals, he gets multiple years. Not the greatest contract in the history of the word, but we’re clearly back to boom-times for free agents this winter, so I suppose that’s the new normal.
12:28 PM: Nothing is official yet, and we should always be wary of preliminary reports. But when the preliminary report comes from the player himself, I imagine that it’s safe to run with that news. Orlando Hudson was just on MLB Network Radio on Sirius/XM and said that a deal with the Padres should be announced later today.
The Padres will be Hudson’s fourth team in four years. Always touted as a great guy in the clubhouse, that may not really be true, as Aaron reported back in October. But the guy can still play. He hit .268/.338/.372 in 126 games overall and played good defense. You figure that he won’t make more — and could very well make less — than the $5 million he made last year, and at those prices that’s a pretty good pickup for anyone. Especially a team as pitching-and-defense reliant as the Padres are.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 0
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 11
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (87)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (75)