Dec 17, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
UPDATE: OK, it is official. Basically, anyway: Rosenthal reports that he’s getting two-years and $11.5 million. The deal is done pending a physical. So he does get a raise. And, unlike his last two deals, he gets multiple years. Not the greatest contract in the history of the word, but we’re clearly back to boom-times for free agents this winter, so I suppose that’s the new normal.
12:28 PM: Nothing is official yet, and we should always be wary of preliminary reports. But when the preliminary report comes from the player himself, I imagine that it’s safe to run with that news. Orlando Hudson was just on MLB Network Radio on Sirius/XM and said that a deal with the Padres should be announced later today.
The Padres will be Hudson’s fourth team in four years. Always touted as a great guy in the clubhouse, that may not really be true, as Aaron reported back in October. But the guy can still play. He hit .268/.338/.372 in 126 games overall and played good defense. You figure that he won’t make more — and could very well make less — than the $5 million he made last year, and at those prices that’s a pretty good pickup for anyone. Especially a team as pitching-and-defense reliant as the Padres are.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 20
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 5
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 63
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 13
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (111)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games