Dec 17, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
UPDATE: OK, it is official. Basically, anyway: Rosenthal reports that he’s getting two-years and $11.5 million. The deal is done pending a physical. So he does get a raise. And, unlike his last two deals, he gets multiple years. Not the greatest contract in the history of the word, but we’re clearly back to boom-times for free agents this winter, so I suppose that’s the new normal.
12:28 PM: Nothing is official yet, and we should always be wary of preliminary reports. But when the preliminary report comes from the player himself, I imagine that it’s safe to run with that news. Orlando Hudson was just on MLB Network Radio on Sirius/XM and said that a deal with the Padres should be announced later today.
The Padres will be Hudson’s fourth team in four years. Always touted as a great guy in the clubhouse, that may not really be true, as Aaron reported back in October. But the guy can still play. He hit .268/.338/.372 in 126 games overall and played good defense. You figure that he won’t make more — and could very well make less — than the $5 million he made last year, and at those prices that’s a pretty good pickup for anyone. Especially a team as pitching-and-defense reliant as the Padres are.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)