Dec 17, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
UPDATE: OK, it is official. Basically, anyway: Rosenthal reports that he’s getting two-years and $11.5 million. The deal is done pending a physical. So he does get a raise. And, unlike his last two deals, he gets multiple years. Not the greatest contract in the history of the word, but we’re clearly back to boom-times for free agents this winter, so I suppose that’s the new normal.
12:28 PM: Nothing is official yet, and we should always be wary of preliminary reports. But when the preliminary report comes from the player himself, I imagine that it’s safe to run with that news. Orlando Hudson was just on MLB Network Radio on Sirius/XM and said that a deal with the Padres should be announced later today.
The Padres will be Hudson’s fourth team in four years. Always touted as a great guy in the clubhouse, that may not really be true, as Aaron reported back in October. But the guy can still play. He hit .268/.338/.372 in 126 games overall and played good defense. You figure that he won’t make more — and could very well make less — than the $5 million he made last year, and at those prices that’s a pretty good pickup for anyone. Especially a team as pitching-and-defense reliant as the Padres are.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 15
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 19
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)