Dec 17, 2010, 1:31 PM EDT
According to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com, the Giants and Cubs discussed a swap of Aaron Rowand for Kosuke Fukudome.
Some may classify this as a potential swap of bad contracts, but to equate Fukudome to Rowand is nuts. Keep in mind, Rowand is still owed $24 million (!) over the next two seasons while Fukudome will make $13.5 million in the final year of his deal next season.
While Rowand is still a solid defender, he has a meager .225/.277/.370 batting line dating back to the All-Star break of the 2009 season. It’s not a stretch to say that Fukudome has been a disappointment in Chicago, he at least knows how to draw a walk. In fact, his 809 OPS last season was his best since arriving stateside. Take a look at some of the money being tossed around this winter and his contract doesn’t seem so bad anymore. The Cubs would be doing Brian Sabean a tremendous favor to even consider such a swap.
Fortunately for Cubs fans, Crasnick calls this one a “real long shot.”
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)