Dec 17, 2010, 1:31 PM EDT
According to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com, the Giants and Cubs discussed a swap of Aaron Rowand for Kosuke Fukudome.
Some may classify this as a potential swap of bad contracts, but to equate Fukudome to Rowand is nuts. Keep in mind, Rowand is still owed $24 million (!) over the next two seasons while Fukudome will make $13.5 million in the final year of his deal next season.
While Rowand is still a solid defender, he has a meager .225/.277/.370 batting line dating back to the All-Star break of the 2009 season. It’s not a stretch to say that Fukudome has been a disappointment in Chicago, he at least knows how to draw a walk. In fact, his 809 OPS last season was his best since arriving stateside. Take a look at some of the money being tossed around this winter and his contract doesn’t seem so bad anymore. The Cubs would be doing Brian Sabean a tremendous favor to even consider such a swap.
Fortunately for Cubs fans, Crasnick calls this one a “real long shot.”
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)