Dec 17, 2010, 1:31 PM EST
According to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com, the Giants and Cubs discussed a swap of Aaron Rowand for Kosuke Fukudome.
Some may classify this as a potential swap of bad contracts, but to equate Fukudome to Rowand is nuts. Keep in mind, Rowand is still owed $24 million (!) over the next two seasons while Fukudome will make $13.5 million in the final year of his deal next season.
While Rowand is still a solid defender, he has a meager .225/.277/.370 batting line dating back to the All-Star break of the 2009 season. It’s not a stretch to say that Fukudome has been a disappointment in Chicago, he at least knows how to draw a walk. In fact, his 809 OPS last season was his best since arriving stateside. Take a look at some of the money being tossed around this winter and his contract doesn’t seem so bad anymore. The Cubs would be doing Brian Sabean a tremendous favor to even consider such a swap.
Fortunately for Cubs fans, Crasnick calls this one a “real long shot.”
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)