Dec 17, 2010, 9:31 PM EDT
After confirming the signings of Xavier Nady and Henry Blanco earlier today, Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers told Steve Gilbert of MLB.com that he is essentially done with his offseason shopping list.
“I’d say there’s a good chance,” Towers said about making no more moves this winter. “We’ve kind of addressed all our needs. Our last two were backup catcher and we needed a right-handed bat. It’s not to say that we won’t add any more pieces before the start of the season, but if we had to start today we’re pretty comfortable with where we’re at.”
Towers has certainly put an imprint on his new team in a short amount of time. Though he received more attention for not trading Justin Upton, he swapped Mark Reynolds for David Hernandez and Kam Mickolio, acquired Juan Miranda from the Yankees and Zach Duke from the Pirates and signed J.J. Putz, Melvin Mora, Geoff Blum and Wily Mo Pena, as well as the aforementioned Nady and Blanco. That’s quite a bit of turnover.
The Diamondbacks don’t look like a playoff contender as currently constituted, but it’s hard to imagine them being worse than they were in 2010. I mean, how many games could they have won if their bullpen ERA was the league average (3.98) instead of an obscene 5.74? I’m guessing quite a few. If there’s anything we know about Towers, the bullpen will be better.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)