Dec 17, 2010, 7:04 PM EST
UPDATE: Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times reports that the player to be named later going to the Padres will be a minor leaguer and will be worked out prior to Opening Day 2011.
6:19 PM: That on-again, off-again trade that was supposed to send Jason Bartlett to the Padres? It’s finally done. With some revisions, that is.
According to Marty Caswell of XX1090 in San Diego, the Padres acquired Jason Bartlett and a player to be named later from the Rays for right-handers Adam Russell and Brandon Gomes, left-hander Cesar Ramos and infielder Cole Figueroa.
The original deal was Bartlett for Russell and Ramos, so the PTBNL, Gomes and Figueroa are the new additions here.
According to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times, the Rays have scheduled a 6:45 p.m. conference call to discuss details of the trade.
Gomes, 26, posted a 1.87 ERA over 51 relief appearances with Double-A San Antonio this past season, averaging 11.6 K/9 and 3.1 BB/9. Figueroa, a 23-year-old infielder, batted .303/.408/.392 with four home runs, 66 RBI and 26 stolen bases in 35 attempts with High-A Lake Elsinore this past season. Baseball America named him as the organization’s No. 30 prospect coming into the 2010 season. I’m not going to lie and say I’ve seen these guys play before, but they sound right up the Rays’ alley, even if they are just fliers.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)