Dec 17, 2010, 7:04 PM EDT
UPDATE: Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times reports that the player to be named later going to the Padres will be a minor leaguer and will be worked out prior to Opening Day 2011.
6:19 PM: That on-again, off-again trade that was supposed to send Jason Bartlett to the Padres? It’s finally done. With some revisions, that is.
According to Marty Caswell of XX1090 in San Diego, the Padres acquired Jason Bartlett and a player to be named later from the Rays for right-handers Adam Russell and Brandon Gomes, left-hander Cesar Ramos and infielder Cole Figueroa.
The original deal was Bartlett for Russell and Ramos, so the PTBNL, Gomes and Figueroa are the new additions here.
According to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times, the Rays have scheduled a 6:45 p.m. conference call to discuss details of the trade.
Gomes, 26, posted a 1.87 ERA over 51 relief appearances with Double-A San Antonio this past season, averaging 11.6 K/9 and 3.1 BB/9. Figueroa, a 23-year-old infielder, batted .303/.408/.392 with four home runs, 66 RBI and 26 stolen bases in 35 attempts with High-A Lake Elsinore this past season. Baseball America named him as the organization’s No. 30 prospect coming into the 2010 season. I’m not going to lie and say I’ve seen these guys play before, but they sound right up the Rays’ alley, even if they are just fliers.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (122)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins third straight pole in Monaco
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy