Dec 17, 2010, 7:04 PM EDT
UPDATE: Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times reports that the player to be named later going to the Padres will be a minor leaguer and will be worked out prior to Opening Day 2011.
6:19 PM: That on-again, off-again trade that was supposed to send Jason Bartlett to the Padres? It’s finally done. With some revisions, that is.
According to Marty Caswell of XX1090 in San Diego, the Padres acquired Jason Bartlett and a player to be named later from the Rays for right-handers Adam Russell and Brandon Gomes, left-hander Cesar Ramos and infielder Cole Figueroa.
The original deal was Bartlett for Russell and Ramos, so the PTBNL, Gomes and Figueroa are the new additions here.
According to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times, the Rays have scheduled a 6:45 p.m. conference call to discuss details of the trade.
Gomes, 26, posted a 1.87 ERA over 51 relief appearances with Double-A San Antonio this past season, averaging 11.6 K/9 and 3.1 BB/9. Figueroa, a 23-year-old infielder, batted .303/.408/.392 with four home runs, 66 RBI and 26 stolen bases in 35 attempts with High-A Lake Elsinore this past season. Baseball America named him as the organization’s No. 30 prospect coming into the 2010 season. I’m not going to lie and say I’ve seen these guys play before, but they sound right up the Rays’ alley, even if they are just fliers.
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 18
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 19
- Frank Torre: 1931-2014 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball 86
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use 92
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)