Dec 17, 2010, 7:04 PM EST
UPDATE: Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times reports that the player to be named later going to the Padres will be a minor leaguer and will be worked out prior to Opening Day 2011.
6:19 PM: That on-again, off-again trade that was supposed to send Jason Bartlett to the Padres? It’s finally done. With some revisions, that is.
According to Marty Caswell of XX1090 in San Diego, the Padres acquired Jason Bartlett and a player to be named later from the Rays for right-handers Adam Russell and Brandon Gomes, left-hander Cesar Ramos and infielder Cole Figueroa.
The original deal was Bartlett for Russell and Ramos, so the PTBNL, Gomes and Figueroa are the new additions here.
According to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times, the Rays have scheduled a 6:45 p.m. conference call to discuss details of the trade.
Gomes, 26, posted a 1.87 ERA over 51 relief appearances with Double-A San Antonio this past season, averaging 11.6 K/9 and 3.1 BB/9. Figueroa, a 23-year-old infielder, batted .303/.408/.392 with four home runs, 66 RBI and 26 stolen bases in 35 attempts with High-A Lake Elsinore this past season. Baseball America named him as the organization’s No. 30 prospect coming into the 2010 season. I’m not going to lie and say I’ve seen these guys play before, but they sound right up the Rays’ alley, even if they are just fliers.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 17
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 73
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)