Dec 18, 2010, 10:08 AM EST
The market for free agent third baseman Adrian Beltre is finally beginning to take shape.
The A’s reportedly offered Beltre a five-year, $64 million contract at the beginning of the offseason. He never even responded to the proposal and it has since been pulled off the table.
According to Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times, the Angels have entered a bid of about five years and $70 million, and they don’t plan to go any higher.
Beltre took advantage of the smaller parks of the American League East this past year and registered a .321/.365/.553 batting line with 28 home runs and 102 RBI over 589 at-bats. He also played his usual brand of excellent defense at the hot corner and is thought to be seeking a six-year contract worth around $90 million.
As of now, it doesn’t appear that he has enough suitors to command that kind of asking price. The Rangers are trying to work out a deal with Vladimir Guerrero and are thought to be only mildly interested in Beltre. The A’s didn’t appreciate the 31-year-old’s silent treatment and are not expected to reenter negotiations. The Angels certainly aren’t going to bid against themselves.
Unless another club comes along with something better, the Halos are in the driver’s seat.
Where are those mystery teams when you need ‘em?
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 118
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (368)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (118)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)