Marlins may look to trade right-hander Ricky Nolasco

Dec 18, 2010, 1:32 PM EST

Ricky Nolasco

The Marlins aren’t having the best offseason.  They gave out a three-year, $18 million contract to 30-year-old catcher John Buck, a .243/.301/.421 career hitter, they got very little in return when they traded power-hitting second baseman Dan Uggla to the Braves, and now they’re having trouble locking up one of their top arbitration-eligible pitchers.

According to Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, the Marlins have “arrived at a stalemate” in their long-term contract negotiations with right-hander Ricky Nolasco.

Nolasco is under team control for the 2011 and 2012 seasons, but his price is about to shoot up via arbitration and the Fish have been notoriously cheap in similar situations in the past.  Which is why Morosi suspects that Nolasco might be traded.

The 28-year-old posted a solid 4.51 ERA and 1.28 WHIP over 26 starts for the Marlins in 2010, striking out 147 batters against just 33 walks.  If he is indeed going to be shopped, many teams will come calling.  Quality starting pitching is always in desire around the league, even more so in this week free agent market.

If the Marlins can’t find a good trade package for him, they’ll ink him to a one-year deal worth around $6 million.  He made $3.8 million in 2010 through arbitration.

UPDATE: Nolasco’s agent, Matt Sosnick, told MLB Trade Rumors that he is still “optimistic” about working out a long-term contract.  The Marlins would surely prefer that, if the price is right.

1. Old Gator - Dec 18, 2010 at 1:59 PM

If the Uggla debacle is any indication, they’ll get rid of him one way or another. Clearly, Scrooge McLoria’s appetite for bulging pockets will accommodate another lopsidedly disadvantageous trade fiasco for a bunch of diaper-wetting EYPs. I figured Nolasco would be gone this weenter and I still expect that he will be. The Feesh have shown an incredible capacity for bungling this past year – from their imploded managerial-hire peccadilloes and the Valentine embarrassment to the incomprehensible Buck overpayment and now, one fears, the Nolasco salary dump. They’ve devolving from a tragedy into a joke. I always figured Larry Beinfest would be something of a bulwark against a complete franchise meltdown but the stuff that’s gone down these past few months leave me wondering whether McLoria is metamorphosing into Jeff Wilpon Light and interfering with the natural order of things. Ah well.

2. dominatetheworld - Dec 18, 2010 at 3:46 PM

It’s ok man, the bright side about the marlins is they are the 1 team in the league that can have no expectations, have a really low team salary and still be competitive or yet win the WS, see 1997, 2003. The only teams that have won multiple championships since ’97 are the Yankees, the Bosox and the Fish. It’s pretty incredible considering the Marlins usually have one of the lowest team payrolls and the yanks and sox usually have the 2 highest team salaries. I’d rather be a Marlins fan than a Cubs, Mets, Dodgers, Tigers etc. fan, teams in big markets that spend big money but still fail to win.

3. ta192 - Dec 18, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Didn’t you say earlier that the Jankees might be a logical destination for Nolasco? Might provide the best haul in return…could you imagine the transactions that might have taken place down here if straight out sales of players were allowed like in the old days, Loria would need a second new stadium just to hold his money…

• ta192 - Dec 18, 2010 at 3:55 PM

No edit button, rats:

My previous post was supposed to show up as a reply to Gator, not a stand alone…

• Old Gator - Dec 19, 2010 at 1:15 AM

I did say that and it might still work out, especially since the Borg is in patch-the-leak mode at the moment. I don’t know what the FAT TOAD makes but I could see Scrooge springing for a package including Big Bufo and an EYP or two.

And dominatetheworld, your point is taken – except that the Feesh had a buxom payroll in 1997 when Wayne Huizinga owned them, and that the 1993 team still had John Henry and Dave Dombrowski’s fingerprints all over it and a substantially higher payroll than they do now following what the Chihuahua, channeling George Orwell played for laughs by Ron Ziegler, called a “market correction.”

4. pisano - Dec 18, 2010 at 6:02 PM

I’m thinking the Yankees would want to do better than a guy with a 4.51 era. That era in the AL would translate to around 5.00 or so. Maybe they would take him as a # 5 starter, but the Marlins wouldn’t be getting any of the top prospects from the Yankees.I have a better idea, how about a heads up swap for AJ Burnett and the Yankees pay half of his remaining contract. That pos AJ can go back to where he started.

• allstars9002 - Dec 18, 2010 at 6:21 PM

U obviously knw nothing about basebal. There is ZERO chance the marlins would take that deal and zero chance the yankees would be dumb enough to offer it. Look at rickys career numbers, he had an awful first month of the season last year, went to aaa, came back and dominated. He has FILTHY stuff and burnett is one of the biggest pieces of shit in mlb. Your an idiot for suggesting that. An expectable era for nolasco is abt 3.4-3.6

• proudlycanadian - Dec 18, 2010 at 9:22 PM

A 4.51 ERA is what it is in the NL. In the AL it translates to 5.00+. Even if his normalized ERA was 3.6, it would still be well over 4.0 in the AL East. Are you sure about that filthy stuff? The Yankees see themselves as a class outfit and tend to frown on filth. Burnett also has filthy stuff and look at what that achieved. I am sure that the Yankees have had all the filth that they can handle. By the way allstars9002, do you have a spell check function?

• Adam - Dec 19, 2010 at 8:35 PM

allstars – the reason that deal wouldn’t happen isn’t because Nolsasco is so good and AJ is so bad, it’s that there’s no way the Marlins would pay AJ 8 million a year. Heck, they don’t want to pay anyone 8 dollars a year.

5. pisano - Dec 18, 2010 at 7:20 PM

To nostar9002 – Get a grip, the trade suggestion was in jest. Also who cares about the Marlins other than people in Florida. I don’t make a habit of keeping an eye on a team that gives away just about every good player they have because the ownership is to cheap to pay them the going rate. I don’t care what your pea brain thinks about what Nolasco #’s should be, the 4.51 era is what teams make deals on.

• pisano - Dec 18, 2010 at 10:13 PM

To- proudlycanadian, Well said.I did a little research on Mr. Nolasco and his career era is 4.45, and like you said it would be a half a run or higher in the AL. I don’t know where he came up with 3.6, maybe he’s Nolasco’s agent.(no, he can’t spell) Another good point on the spell check,or maybe completing the 8th. grade would do wonders for him.

• Old Gator - Dec 19, 2010 at 1:10 AM

In defense of allstar9002, he does know what he’s talking about re Nolasco’s performance after he got sent to the closet in a dunce cap. He was very effective throughout the middle and latter half of the season. Also, look at the infield he had playing behind him: Uggla, Cantu, Hanley Ramirez (who until this year was really ham-handed). Lots of playable balls no one ever got to, discounting the errors. Without looking at the stats (too late, too tired) I bet a good chunk of his midseason-onward ERA consists of baserunners he left to the Feesh’s shipwreck of a boolpen to permit to score.Nolasco’s a fine pitcher and the only reason the dump-happy Feesh are even discussing an extension with him is because they know that.

6. pisano - Dec 19, 2010 at 2:39 AM

To Gator, coming from you I’ll take it as the Gospel, but I’m always a little suspect about a post coming from a person that has a problem with proof reading or flat out can’t spell. I just look at the numbers and if I see an era that high and not knowing the back round I naturally think middle of the road pitcher.

• Old Gator - Dec 19, 2010 at 3:09 AM

For the most part I sympathize with your mistrust of semi-literacy. You ought to try teaching basic composition and critical writing to football scholarship students for sixteen years. I’m proud as hell that I never had to flunk one, but I looked sixty by the time I was forty (allowing some credit for that to my ex-wife, to be fair). Forget what I look like now.

• Old Gator - Dec 19, 2010 at 3:13 AM

Damned “reply” button….

Oh, and by the way, never take anything I write as “Gospel.” Take it as Sutra.

• proudlycanadian - Dec 19, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Kama Sutra?

7. Old Gator - Dec 19, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Only during beaver season.

Incidentally, with Greinke gone, the Borg is running out of options and Nolasco is now part of the mix with Garza and Pavano. I think that as far as Pavano is concerned, it’s a safe bet that, as Chuacer wrote, the burned child will flee the fire. I don’t think that given the evisceration they’ve sustained this offseason the Rays will add to their own wretchedness by trading Garza within the division (unless they’re upended by Borg skulduggery in the context of a three-way trade of some sort). So, this leaves Nolasco hanging from the Feesh by a daisy, doesn’t it?

• proudlycanadian - Dec 19, 2010 at 6:03 PM

They love him, they love him not. He loves them, he loves the proposed contract not!

8. proudlycanadian - Dec 20, 2010 at 8:58 AM

It now appears that Nolasco is about to sign a three year deal with the fish.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4645)