Dec 18, 2010, 8:53 AM EST
All that talk about ex-GM Omar Minaya scoring another job with the Mets might actually be real.
According to Ian Belgey of ESPN New York, Minaya plans to sit down with new general manager Sandy Alderson sometime after the New Year to discuss what role he could fit in the organization.
Minaya has also drawn interest from the Diamondbacks’ front office and may have a few other offers on the table.
He is still owed $1.1 million annually over the next two years via his contract with the Mets and he can take his time finding a favorable gig.
“He and I have been friends for a long time,” Alderson said of Minaya on Friday. “I have great respect for him as a baseball person. There’s always room for somebody with his capabilities.”
Minaya was canned in October after the Mets finished the 2010 season with a 79-83 record.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)