Dec 18, 2010, 4:15 PM EDT
Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse reported Thursday that the Orioles were “closing in on signing” free agent first baseman Adam LaRoche. They are, and Jen Royle of MASN was given an idea of the financial terms Saturday from a source in the know.
LaRoche will earn between $16 million and $18 million over a three-year pact.
The money is bad, but it’s not a terrible fit.
LaRoche is a left-handed hitter and should be able to take advantage of Camden Yards’ short right porch. He launched 25 home runs and collected a career-high 100 RBI over 151 games in 2010 for Arizona and he’s a decent defender at first base.
LaRoche will be reunited in Baltimore with Mark Reynolds, who was acquired via trade from the D’Backs earlier this offseason. Arizona got right-handers David Hernandez and Kameron Mickolio in return.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)