Dec 18, 2010, 11:29 AM EDT
Like us, you’re probably trying to figure out why exactly the Phillies cut off their one-year, $1.1 million deal with left-handed reliever Dennys Reyes on Friday afternoon.
We may never know the truth.
Whether Reyes failed part of his physical (which is highly possible given his weight and conditioning issues) or whether the Phillies simply backtracked from the offer after signing Cliff Lee to a mega-deal, Phillies assistant general manager Scott Proefrock isn’t saying anything and Reyes’ representatives have not weighed in either.
But you can probably read through the lines here…
“We were not able to finish it off,” Proefrock said Friday. “We were not able to finish it off, and that’s all I’m going to say.”
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)