Dec 18, 2010, 11:29 AM EDT
Like us, you’re probably trying to figure out why exactly the Phillies cut off their one-year, $1.1 million deal with left-handed reliever Dennys Reyes on Friday afternoon.
We may never know the truth.
Whether Reyes failed part of his physical (which is highly possible given his weight and conditioning issues) or whether the Phillies simply backtracked from the offer after signing Cliff Lee to a mega-deal, Phillies assistant general manager Scott Proefrock isn’t saying anything and Reyes’ representatives have not weighed in either.
But you can probably read through the lines here…
“We were not able to finish it off,” Proefrock said Friday. “We were not able to finish it off, and that’s all I’m going to say.”
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 16
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 32
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)