Dec 18, 2010, 11:29 AM EDT
Like us, you’re probably trying to figure out why exactly the Phillies cut off their one-year, $1.1 million deal with left-handed reliever Dennys Reyes on Friday afternoon.
We may never know the truth.
Whether Reyes failed part of his physical (which is highly possible given his weight and conditioning issues) or whether the Phillies simply backtracked from the offer after signing Cliff Lee to a mega-deal, Phillies assistant general manager Scott Proefrock isn’t saying anything and Reyes’ representatives have not weighed in either.
But you can probably read through the lines here…
“We were not able to finish it off,” Proefrock said Friday. “We were not able to finish it off, and that’s all I’m going to say.”
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (210)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (121)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)