Dec 18, 2010, 11:29 AM EDT
Like us, you’re probably trying to figure out why exactly the Phillies cut off their one-year, $1.1 million deal with left-handed reliever Dennys Reyes on Friday afternoon.
We may never know the truth.
Whether Reyes failed part of his physical (which is highly possible given his weight and conditioning issues) or whether the Phillies simply backtracked from the offer after signing Cliff Lee to a mega-deal, Phillies assistant general manager Scott Proefrock isn’t saying anything and Reyes’ representatives have not weighed in either.
But you can probably read through the lines here…
“We were not able to finish it off,” Proefrock said Friday. “We were not able to finish it off, and that’s all I’m going to say.”
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)