Dec 18, 2010, 5:32 PM EDT
Edgar Renteria’s agent is doing his best best to soften the blow of his client’s recent quotes about San Francisco’s “disrespectful” one-year, $1 million contract offer.
The agent, Barry Meister, contacted the Giants’ front office on Friday and called the comments an “inaccurate representation” of the veteran’s shortstop’s feelings. Meister said that Renteria is still very interested in a reunion with the world champs.
But it doesn’t feel like that’s going to happen, and it sounds like Meister’s attempt to diffuse the matter didn’t exactly hit home with the Giants.
Assistant general manager Bobby Evans told the San Francisco Chronicle on Friday that, “something doesn’t add up when you read Renteria’s quotes and yet the agent insists that Edgar has no problem with the Giants.”
Renteria, 35, batted just .276/.332/.374 over 243 at-bats in 2010 for San Francisco and has lost a step or two defensively. He would have been (or will be) a bench player on the 2011 edition of the Giants, so the $1 million offer is far from disrespectful.
But it might not matter anyway. The two sides sound like they’re ready for a split.
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 6
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 1
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 3
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 31
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 79
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (116)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)