Dec 18, 2010, 5:32 PM EST
Edgar Renteria’s agent is doing his best best to soften the blow of his client’s recent quotes about San Francisco’s “disrespectful” one-year, $1 million contract offer.
The agent, Barry Meister, contacted the Giants’ front office on Friday and called the comments an “inaccurate representation” of the veteran’s shortstop’s feelings. Meister said that Renteria is still very interested in a reunion with the world champs.
But it doesn’t feel like that’s going to happen, and it sounds like Meister’s attempt to diffuse the matter didn’t exactly hit home with the Giants.
Assistant general manager Bobby Evans told the San Francisco Chronicle on Friday that, “something doesn’t add up when you read Renteria’s quotes and yet the agent insists that Edgar has no problem with the Giants.”
Renteria, 35, batted just .276/.332/.374 over 243 at-bats in 2010 for San Francisco and has lost a step or two defensively. He would have been (or will be) a bench player on the 2011 edition of the Giants, so the $1 million offer is far from disrespectful.
But it might not matter anyway. The two sides sound like they’re ready for a split.
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 1
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 50
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 41
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 117
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)