Dec 18, 2010, 5:32 PM EDT
Edgar Renteria’s agent is doing his best best to soften the blow of his client’s recent quotes about San Francisco’s “disrespectful” one-year, $1 million contract offer.
The agent, Barry Meister, contacted the Giants’ front office on Friday and called the comments an “inaccurate representation” of the veteran’s shortstop’s feelings. Meister said that Renteria is still very interested in a reunion with the world champs.
But it doesn’t feel like that’s going to happen, and it sounds like Meister’s attempt to diffuse the matter didn’t exactly hit home with the Giants.
Assistant general manager Bobby Evans told the San Francisco Chronicle on Friday that, “something doesn’t add up when you read Renteria’s quotes and yet the agent insists that Edgar has no problem with the Giants.”
Renteria, 35, batted just .276/.332/.374 over 243 at-bats in 2010 for San Francisco and has lost a step or two defensively. He would have been (or will be) a bench player on the 2011 edition of the Giants, so the $1 million offer is far from disrespectful.
But it might not matter anyway. The two sides sound like they’re ready for a split.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)