Dec 18, 2010, 5:32 PM EDT
Edgar Renteria’s agent is doing his best best to soften the blow of his client’s recent quotes about San Francisco’s “disrespectful” one-year, $1 million contract offer.
The agent, Barry Meister, contacted the Giants’ front office on Friday and called the comments an “inaccurate representation” of the veteran’s shortstop’s feelings. Meister said that Renteria is still very interested in a reunion with the world champs.
But it doesn’t feel like that’s going to happen, and it sounds like Meister’s attempt to diffuse the matter didn’t exactly hit home with the Giants.
Assistant general manager Bobby Evans told the San Francisco Chronicle on Friday that, “something doesn’t add up when you read Renteria’s quotes and yet the agent insists that Edgar has no problem with the Giants.”
Renteria, 35, batted just .276/.332/.374 over 243 at-bats in 2010 for San Francisco and has lost a step or two defensively. He would have been (or will be) a bench player on the 2011 edition of the Giants, so the $1 million offer is far from disrespectful.
But it might not matter anyway. The two sides sound like they’re ready for a split.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (248)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)