Dec 19, 2010, 10:35 AM EST
Here’s a couple quick interesting tidbits.
According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, the Nationals were actually close to a deal for Zack Greinke. Names like Drew Storen and Danny Espinosa, among others, were discussed. The only problem? The Nationals were on Greinke’s no-trade list and he told the Royals he wouldn’t go.
Meanwhile, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com confirms that the deal and adds that Greinke waived his no-trade to Milwaukee without receiving anything in return.
Pretty easy to see the logic behind this. Despite the addition of Jayson Werth, the Nationals are still a few steps away from being a contender. Meanwhile, the Brewers are ready to win right now. Greinke’s biggest motivation for leaving Kansas City was that he was sick of losing. Likely would have been more of the same in Washington, at least in 2011.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 10
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)