Dec 19, 2010, 10:35 AM EDT
Here’s a couple quick interesting tidbits.
According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, the Nationals were actually close to a deal for Zack Greinke. Names like Drew Storen and Danny Espinosa, among others, were discussed. The only problem? The Nationals were on Greinke’s no-trade list and he told the Royals he wouldn’t go.
Meanwhile, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com confirms that the deal and adds that Greinke waived his no-trade to Milwaukee without receiving anything in return.
Pretty easy to see the logic behind this. Despite the addition of Jayson Werth, the Nationals are still a few steps away from being a contender. Meanwhile, the Brewers are ready to win right now. Greinke’s biggest motivation for leaving Kansas City was that he was sick of losing. Likely would have been more of the same in Washington, at least in 2011.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17