Dec 19, 2010, 10:35 AM EDT
Here’s a couple quick interesting tidbits.
According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, the Nationals were actually close to a deal for Zack Greinke. Names like Drew Storen and Danny Espinosa, among others, were discussed. The only problem? The Nationals were on Greinke’s no-trade list and he told the Royals he wouldn’t go.
Meanwhile, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com confirms that the deal and adds that Greinke waived his no-trade to Milwaukee without receiving anything in return.
Pretty easy to see the logic behind this. Despite the addition of Jayson Werth, the Nationals are still a few steps away from being a contender. Meanwhile, the Brewers are ready to win right now. Greinke’s biggest motivation for leaving Kansas City was that he was sick of losing. Likely would have been more of the same in Washington, at least in 2011.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 43
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)