Dec 19, 2010, 10:35 AM EDT
Here’s a couple quick interesting tidbits.
According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, the Nationals were actually close to a deal for Zack Greinke. Names like Drew Storen and Danny Espinosa, among others, were discussed. The only problem? The Nationals were on Greinke’s no-trade list and he told the Royals he wouldn’t go.
Meanwhile, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com confirms that the deal and adds that Greinke waived his no-trade to Milwaukee without receiving anything in return.
Pretty easy to see the logic behind this. Despite the addition of Jayson Werth, the Nationals are still a few steps away from being a contender. Meanwhile, the Brewers are ready to win right now. Greinke’s biggest motivation for leaving Kansas City was that he was sick of losing. Likely would have been more of the same in Washington, at least in 2011.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (94)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)