Dec 19, 2010, 10:35 AM EDT
Here’s a couple quick interesting tidbits.
According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, the Nationals were actually close to a deal for Zack Greinke. Names like Drew Storen and Danny Espinosa, among others, were discussed. The only problem? The Nationals were on Greinke’s no-trade list and he told the Royals he wouldn’t go.
Meanwhile, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com confirms that the deal and adds that Greinke waived his no-trade to Milwaukee without receiving anything in return.
Pretty easy to see the logic behind this. Despite the addition of Jayson Werth, the Nationals are still a few steps away from being a contender. Meanwhile, the Brewers are ready to win right now. Greinke’s biggest motivation for leaving Kansas City was that he was sick of losing. Likely would have been more of the same in Washington, at least in 2011.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 24
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)