Dec 19, 2010, 9:48 AM EST
Isn’t it great when you can predict what columnists are going to write about? I’m on the lookout for something ridiculous on this very topic right now. Don’t let me down, guys.
I’m getting the sense that some fans believe the Yankees were still in shock after missing out on Cliff Lee and as a result, were too slow on Zack Greinke. Don’t buy into all that.
Chances are this was a much more complex situation that we realize. We know that the Royals were trying to involve the Yankees in talks, but there’s no evidence to suggest that the Bombers ever seriously considered trading for Greinke. Whether their lack of interest can be attributed his anxiety condition or not, the Yankees were never a realistic option here. Also keep in mind that the Royals had a lot to gain by even having the Yankees in the discussion.
There was also the matter of Greinke’s limited no-trade clause, which included 15 teams. Aside from the Yankees, Red Sox and Nationals, we don’t know exactly who was on there. The Royals may have been a bit hamstrung in that regard.
And so, I’m sure there are many Yankee fans who are still losing it because outside of re-signing Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera, pretty much nothing has went according to plan this winter. To that I say, welcome to the life of most every other baseball fan. Fun, isn’t it?
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 18
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 74
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)