Dec 19, 2010, 9:48 AM EDT
Isn’t it great when you can predict what columnists are going to write about? I’m on the lookout for something ridiculous on this very topic right now. Don’t let me down, guys.
I’m getting the sense that some fans believe the Yankees were still in shock after missing out on Cliff Lee and as a result, were too slow on Zack Greinke. Don’t buy into all that.
Chances are this was a much more complex situation that we realize. We know that the Royals were trying to involve the Yankees in talks, but there’s no evidence to suggest that the Bombers ever seriously considered trading for Greinke. Whether their lack of interest can be attributed his anxiety condition or not, the Yankees were never a realistic option here. Also keep in mind that the Royals had a lot to gain by even having the Yankees in the discussion.
There was also the matter of Greinke’s limited no-trade clause, which included 15 teams. Aside from the Yankees, Red Sox and Nationals, we don’t know exactly who was on there. The Royals may have been a bit hamstrung in that regard.
And so, I’m sure there are many Yankee fans who are still losing it because outside of re-signing Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera, pretty much nothing has went according to plan this winter. To that I say, welcome to the life of most every other baseball fan. Fun, isn’t it?
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 8
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 11
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 26
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 23
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (97)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)