Dec 19, 2010, 9:48 AM EST
Isn’t it great when you can predict what columnists are going to write about? I’m on the lookout for something ridiculous on this very topic right now. Don’t let me down, guys.
I’m getting the sense that some fans believe the Yankees were still in shock after missing out on Cliff Lee and as a result, were too slow on Zack Greinke. Don’t buy into all that.
Chances are this was a much more complex situation that we realize. We know that the Royals were trying to involve the Yankees in talks, but there’s no evidence to suggest that the Bombers ever seriously considered trading for Greinke. Whether their lack of interest can be attributed his anxiety condition or not, the Yankees were never a realistic option here. Also keep in mind that the Royals had a lot to gain by even having the Yankees in the discussion.
There was also the matter of Greinke’s limited no-trade clause, which included 15 teams. Aside from the Yankees, Red Sox and Nationals, we don’t know exactly who was on there. The Royals may have been a bit hamstrung in that regard.
And so, I’m sure there are many Yankee fans who are still losing it because outside of re-signing Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera, pretty much nothing has went according to plan this winter. To that I say, welcome to the life of most every other baseball fan. Fun, isn’t it?
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 18
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 30
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 81
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)