Brian Cashman admits that he may be stuck with the rotation he has

Dec 20, 2010, 11:35 AM EDT

Brian Cashman

Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York reports that the Yankees may be going into the 2011 season with the rotation they currently have: Sabathia, Hughes, Burnett and … filler:

Having finished second, or maybe third, in the Cliff Lee sweepstakes, theYankees are prepared to go into the 2011 season with a pitching rotation of CC Sabathia,A.J. Burnett and Phil Hughes , with the remaining spots filled out by youngsters, many of whom have never pitched above the Triple-A level.

“I’m not saying I want to do it,” general manager Brian Cashman said in a telephone conversation Monday morning, “but I may have to do it … If we get Pettitte back, so much the better. But I’m not waiting for him. He told me not to.”

There was a time when we’d say “oh, that’s just Cashman talking baloney. Watch: the Yankees will make a big splash this week and make us all seem like fools.”  Based on how this offseason has gone, however, we’re not in that world anymore.

1. BC - Dec 20, 2010 at 11:42 AM

There are worse things he can do than throwing say $13 million at Andy Pettitte.

2. Utley's Hair - Dec 20, 2010 at 11:49 AM

“Sabathia, Hughes, Burnett and … filler”

How many Wanker fans would say that as “Sabathia, Hughes and … filler”? And what are the chances of No. 2 (really? I know it’s Burnett, but really?) Hughes hitting the sophomore jinx?

3. The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Dec 20, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Would the Rays have the cojones to trade Garza in the division? They have a big long-term need at catcher.

Probably not, as the Yankees’ weakness in 2010 gives them an opening, but it’s an interesting though.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 20, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Yeah, I don’t see that happening right now. The Rays can bet on having a decent season, maybe even making the playoffs, by trading Garza anywhere but to NY..

4. pisano - Dec 20, 2010 at 12:05 PM

I call BS on Cashman, you can bet he’ll come up with a # 3 or # 4 type starter before the season starts. The Red Sox seem too strong for him to sit back and stay with what he has. The closer it gets to spring training the more he’ll be willing to trade the farm especially if Pettitte retires. He’s played possum before and always seems to get someone to trade with him.

• uyf1950 - Dec 20, 2010 at 2:46 PM

I agree. I would not be surprised to him work out a trade for a #3 starter either just before pitchers and catchers report for spring training or by the trade deadline. I still think Andy will return for one more year. Even if Cashman doesn’t sign a pitcher this may be a blessing in disguise. It will be an opportunity for either Nova and one of their prospects to to get experience. If Andy comes back and the Yankees are forced to go with CC, Andy, Hughes, AJ and Nova they should still be a 95 win team. CC has averaged 19 wins over the last 4 years, Andy and Hughes should be able to combine for 30 wins and AJ & Nova should be able to combine for 20 wins. That would give them the same amount of wins as the 2010 starting rotation +/-. If Andy doesn’t return it just means the other guy’s and whoever is the 5th starter have to pick it up a bit. Hopefully a new pitching coach and a new catcher will have a positive effect on AJ and he can get closer to 15 wins. I honestly feel Hughes will improve without the burden of having to watch his innings and I believe Nova having a few months of ML experience under his belt will improve. Maybe it’s wishful thinking but I can see the Yankees making the post season in either scenario.

5. Utley's Hair - Dec 20, 2010 at 12:10 PM

We really need a caption for this awesome photo.

• sportsdrenched - Dec 20, 2010 at 12:58 PM

I got nothing funny on the caption. But I agree this pic needs to be shown frequently.

Nice that the Yankees are going to ST with ???. However, I’ll beleive it when I see it.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 20, 2010 at 1:15 PM

“Yes, Hank. I know, Hank. I understand, Hank. I see, Hank. Swisher and Montero and $10 bazillion to the Mets for Ollie Perez and the clubhouse bookie? Uh-huh…okay, Hank.”

6. sportsdrenched - Dec 20, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Next time the Royals have player we want you just buy the Royals. OK!

7. redsoxchamp11 - Dec 20, 2010 at 8:22 PM

After blowing his wad 2 years ago no top tier free agent wants to go to NY. This is absolutely awesome. Now all they have is to let their aging team rot. Boston is going to be good for the next 5+ years. What do the Yankees have to look forward to in 2011? Will they be in the playoffs? I think CWS or Minnesota will get that wild card spot over them.

• uyf1950 - Dec 20, 2010 at 8:49 PM

You ask what do the Yankees have to look forward to in 2011? How about finishing ahead of the Boston Red Sox in either the regular season standings or post season just like they have in 8 of the last 11 years starting in 2000.
      What do the Red Sox have to look forward to? Josh Beckett who just signed a new 4 year extension and finished the year with at 6-6 with an ERA well over 5.00 or maybe it’s Dice K who hasn’t played a full season in the last 3 years. Then there’s their closer who can’t close with 8 blown saves and an ERA near 4.00. Let’s not forget a their catching combination of Saltalamacchia/Veritek neither of which could bunch there way out of paper bag. For all the chest pounding the Red Sox and their fans are doing there are a lot of holes and question marks in that roster. So I guess we’ll all have to wait until the end of the season to see what 2011 brings.

8. jhu1997 - Dec 21, 2010 at 12:44 AM

I don’t think Sabean is this creative, but this is the one moment he has to unload Zito. He’d have to throw in a bunch of money, but it actually fits. Also, watching a mediocre flyball pitcher in Yankee Stadium would make me giggle.

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB