Dec 20, 2010, 4:02 PM EDT
I’m not prepared to make some final and serious moral judgment on the matter right now or anything, but I have to ask: am I nuts for thinking that Andy Pettitte’s coyness on whether he will or will not return is really annoying?
I know he’s a free agent and his own man and has a right to proceed in any way he likes. I also know that the Yankees have, publicly at least, been totally accepting of the months-long process that Pettitte apparently requires to decide if he’s going to pitch again in 2011. But really: wouldn’t it be a hell of a lot more considerate of him to give the Yankees an answer on this earlier rather than later? If it’s a negotiating point, can’t he simply take the position that, yeah, he’s coming back, and then simply change his mind if the Yankees offers are insulting? As it is, though, he’s not even getting into that negotiation stage.
Maybe it’s not a big deal. There are enough holes in the Yankees’ rotation — and enough uncertainty with A.J. Burnett — that it’s not like the Yankees could or should simply stop looking for starting pitching if he said he was going to get back into the fold. But I do think that I’d be rather ticked if I were the Yankees.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 44
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 62
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)