Dec 20, 2010, 4:02 PM EDT
I’m not prepared to make some final and serious moral judgment on the matter right now or anything, but I have to ask: am I nuts for thinking that Andy Pettitte’s coyness on whether he will or will not return is really annoying?
I know he’s a free agent and his own man and has a right to proceed in any way he likes. I also know that the Yankees have, publicly at least, been totally accepting of the months-long process that Pettitte apparently requires to decide if he’s going to pitch again in 2011. But really: wouldn’t it be a hell of a lot more considerate of him to give the Yankees an answer on this earlier rather than later? If it’s a negotiating point, can’t he simply take the position that, yeah, he’s coming back, and then simply change his mind if the Yankees offers are insulting? As it is, though, he’s not even getting into that negotiation stage.
Maybe it’s not a big deal. There are enough holes in the Yankees’ rotation — and enough uncertainty with A.J. Burnett — that it’s not like the Yankees could or should simply stop looking for starting pitching if he said he was going to get back into the fold. But I do think that I’d be rather ticked if I were the Yankees.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 33
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 53
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 78
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 60
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)