Dec 20, 2010, 4:02 PM EDT
I’m not prepared to make some final and serious moral judgment on the matter right now or anything, but I have to ask: am I nuts for thinking that Andy Pettitte’s coyness on whether he will or will not return is really annoying?
I know he’s a free agent and his own man and has a right to proceed in any way he likes. I also know that the Yankees have, publicly at least, been totally accepting of the months-long process that Pettitte apparently requires to decide if he’s going to pitch again in 2011. But really: wouldn’t it be a hell of a lot more considerate of him to give the Yankees an answer on this earlier rather than later? If it’s a negotiating point, can’t he simply take the position that, yeah, he’s coming back, and then simply change his mind if the Yankees offers are insulting? As it is, though, he’s not even getting into that negotiation stage.
Maybe it’s not a big deal. There are enough holes in the Yankees’ rotation — and enough uncertainty with A.J. Burnett — that it’s not like the Yankees could or should simply stop looking for starting pitching if he said he was going to get back into the fold. But I do think that I’d be rather ticked if I were the Yankees.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 2
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 1
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 49
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)