Dec 20, 2010, 9:45 AM EDT
Jon Heyman tweets that the Yankees, Mets, and other teams have asked to see Freddy Garcia’s medical records. That means that everyone has an unhealthy obsession with Garcia’s personal business or else they’re actually considering signing the guy. Given how few free agent starters are left out there I’m guessing the latter.
Which is kind of scary, because Garcia is by no means someone who is going to make a difference for a contending team. He threw 157 decent innings last year, but it was the first time he had pitched as many as 100 since 2006. His ERA was respectable — 4.64 — but he really can’t strike guys out anymore. He’s also a right-handed flyball pitcher who I really wouldn’t want facing Boston’s big lefties — or anyone else’s big lefties — in Yankee Stadium.
I’d take a chance on him as a potential innings-eater if I wasn’t anticipating a run at the playoffs, but I’m not sure I’d jump at him if I was the Yankees.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 34
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 38
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 77
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (216)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)