Dec 20, 2010, 9:45 AM EDT
Jon Heyman tweets that the Yankees, Mets, and other teams have asked to see Freddy Garcia’s medical records. That means that everyone has an unhealthy obsession with Garcia’s personal business or else they’re actually considering signing the guy. Given how few free agent starters are left out there I’m guessing the latter.
Which is kind of scary, because Garcia is by no means someone who is going to make a difference for a contending team. He threw 157 decent innings last year, but it was the first time he had pitched as many as 100 since 2006. His ERA was respectable — 4.64 — but he really can’t strike guys out anymore. He’s also a right-handed flyball pitcher who I really wouldn’t want facing Boston’s big lefties — or anyone else’s big lefties — in Yankee Stadium.
I’d take a chance on him as a potential innings-eater if I wasn’t anticipating a run at the playoffs, but I’m not sure I’d jump at him if I was the Yankees.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 13
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 217
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 140
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (235)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (141)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)