Dec 20, 2010, 9:45 AM EDT
Jon Heyman tweets that the Yankees, Mets, and other teams have asked to see Freddy Garcia’s medical records. That means that everyone has an unhealthy obsession with Garcia’s personal business or else they’re actually considering signing the guy. Given how few free agent starters are left out there I’m guessing the latter.
Which is kind of scary, because Garcia is by no means someone who is going to make a difference for a contending team. He threw 157 decent innings last year, but it was the first time he had pitched as many as 100 since 2006. His ERA was respectable — 4.64 — but he really can’t strike guys out anymore. He’s also a right-handed flyball pitcher who I really wouldn’t want facing Boston’s big lefties — or anyone else’s big lefties — in Yankee Stadium.
I’d take a chance on him as a potential innings-eater if I wasn’t anticipating a run at the playoffs, but I’m not sure I’d jump at him if I was the Yankees.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)