Dec 20, 2010, 9:45 AM EDT
Jon Heyman tweets that the Yankees, Mets, and other teams have asked to see Freddy Garcia’s medical records. That means that everyone has an unhealthy obsession with Garcia’s personal business or else they’re actually considering signing the guy. Given how few free agent starters are left out there I’m guessing the latter.
Which is kind of scary, because Garcia is by no means someone who is going to make a difference for a contending team. He threw 157 decent innings last year, but it was the first time he had pitched as many as 100 since 2006. His ERA was respectable — 4.64 — but he really can’t strike guys out anymore. He’s also a right-handed flyball pitcher who I really wouldn’t want facing Boston’s big lefties — or anyone else’s big lefties — in Yankee Stadium.
I’d take a chance on him as a potential innings-eater if I wasn’t anticipating a run at the playoffs, but I’m not sure I’d jump at him if I was the Yankees.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 51
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)