Dec 20, 2010, 4:32 PM EDT
Oh, sorry. Missed the “Jr.” after his name in the story. Much too busy to go back and make that headline more accurate, however. So many things to get done before Christmas!
Pete Rose Jr., the son of the career hits leader who is banned from baseball, will run a rookie league team of the Chicago White Sox.
Rose Jr. played 21 seasons of minor league baseball with several organizations, including the White Sox. He appeared in 1,918 minor league games and had a .271 batting average. He was originally drafted by the Baltimore Orioles in the 12th round in 1988.
He’ll be in Bristol in the Appalachian League.
I will go out on a limb and say that anyone who has spent 21 seasons in the minor leagues is probably destined to be a pretty good minor league manager. To hang around that long you have to know enough about how things work and be a personable enough guy to not have alienated organizations who had no intention whatsoever of actually promoting you up the chain to the bigs. And you certainly have had enough managers yourself to where you know what works and what doesn’t. And no, I don’t think that being the son of someone famous entered into it. That can’t honestly be a draw of any kind, can it?
In other news, I really liked this baseball card when I was a kid:
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 70
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 82
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)