Dec 20, 2010, 1:14 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com is hearing from baseball executives that Derrek Lee is looking for a salary around $8-10 million.
He surmises, much like Jon Heyman did last Friday, that such a salary will likely be too high for the Padres, but that the Nationals could still be a fit.
The 35-year-old Lee is asking a little much for someone who posted a .774 OPS last season and dealt with numerous injuries, remember that the market was set by Lance Berkman getting $8 million from the Cardinals and Carlos Pena signing for $10 million (with half of the money deferred) with the Cubs. And they didn’t exactly set the world on fire last season, either.
In a world where Adam LaRoche is apparently getting a three-year, $21 million offer from the Orioles and Lee has expressed a willingness to sign a one-year deal, this request suddenly looks pretty reasonable.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 14
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 69
- The Lester trade is a win-win 107
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 160
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (160)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (107)