Dec 20, 2010, 1:14 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com is hearing from baseball executives that Derrek Lee is looking for a salary around $8-10 million.
He surmises, much like Jon Heyman did last Friday, that such a salary will likely be too high for the Padres, but that the Nationals could still be a fit.
The 35-year-old Lee is asking a little much for someone who posted a .774 OPS last season and dealt with numerous injuries, remember that the market was set by Lance Berkman getting $8 million from the Cardinals and Carlos Pena signing for $10 million (with half of the money deferred) with the Cubs. And they didn’t exactly set the world on fire last season, either.
In a world where Adam LaRoche is apparently getting a three-year, $21 million offer from the Orioles and Lee has expressed a willingness to sign a one-year deal, this request suddenly looks pretty reasonable.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (100)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)