Dec 20, 2010, 1:14 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com is hearing from baseball executives that Derrek Lee is looking for a salary around $8-10 million.
He surmises, much like Jon Heyman did last Friday, that such a salary will likely be too high for the Padres, but that the Nationals could still be a fit.
The 35-year-old Lee is asking a little much for someone who posted a .774 OPS last season and dealt with numerous injuries, remember that the market was set by Lance Berkman getting $8 million from the Cardinals and Carlos Pena signing for $10 million (with half of the money deferred) with the Cubs. And they didn’t exactly set the world on fire last season, either.
In a world where Adam LaRoche is apparently getting a three-year, $21 million offer from the Orioles and Lee has expressed a willingness to sign a one-year deal, this request suddenly looks pretty reasonable.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)