Stephen Strasburg hopes to begin throwing in January

Dec 20, 2010, 6:17 PM EDT

Strasburg press conference

Stephen Strasburg updated his progress from Tommy John surgery during a conference call with reporters earlier today.

According to Ben Goessling of MASNSports.com, Strasburg said he has a follow-up with Dr. Lewis Yocum after Christmas and plans to begin throwing sometime in January before reporting to spring training along with the rest of the pitchers and catchers.

“They’re not going to say I’m ahead of schedule, because they don’t want to get my hopes up. Physically, I feel great,” Strasburg said. “They say I’m on track. I don’t have an exact timeline yet. I’m just taking it week by week and getting stronger every single day.”

The 22-year-old right-hander posted a 2.91 ERA and 92/17 K/BB ratio over his first 12 major league starts before undergoing Tommy John surgery in the first week of September. There’s still an outside chance he could pitch before the end of the 2011 season, but don’t look for the Nationals to push him too soon.

1. Utley's Hair - Dec 20, 2010 at 6:48 PM

“There’s still an outside chance he could pitch before the end of the 2011 season, but don’t look for the Nationals to push him too soon.”

Yeah, ’cause they don’t have a history of doing irrational things that could affect the franchise for years…wait…what? They did what with JDub?

• scatterbrian - Dec 20, 2010 at 6:50 PM

apples and oranges

• b7p19 - Dec 20, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Most of the best fruit salads don’t include apples.

2. flyboat44 - Dec 21, 2010 at 2:55 PM

I hope he stays healthy for the rest of his career.

3. Jeremiah Graves - Dec 21, 2010 at 3:21 PM

I think he needs to grow his hair out, Bronson Arroyo-style.

Partially to cover up those big ole ears and partially to set himself apart from Harper and Zimmerman as the face of the franchise.

4. michaelmoser01 - Dec 21, 2010 at 6:57 PM

@scatterbrain – agreed

All the trade deadline news to know