Dec 20, 2010, 7:21 PM EST
Many considered the Angels a lock to sign Carl Crawford this winter, but now that he is in Boston, all they have to show for themselves is a pair of left-handed relievers, Hisanori Takahashi and Scott Downs.
That might soon change, but not necessarily for the better.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Angels have shown interest in Scott Podsednik.
Podsednik, who turns 35 in March, batted .297/.342/.382 with six homers and 51 RBI between the Royals and Dodgers this past season. He did steal 35 bases, but getting caught 15 times sure isn’t what you want from a basestealer. And while he looks like a leadoff hitter — in fact, Rosenthal writes that the Angels “are in need of a leadoff man” — Podsednik walked just 6.6 percent of the time in 2009 and 6.7 percent of the time in 2010. And for what it’s worth, UZR (Ultimate Zone Rating) wasn’t very kind to him last season, either.
I sure hope Arte Moreno isn’t forced to raise ticket prices if his club makes this blockbuster signing.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 74
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)