Dec 20, 2010, 7:21 PM EST
Many considered the Angels a lock to sign Carl Crawford this winter, but now that he is in Boston, all they have to show for themselves is a pair of left-handed relievers, Hisanori Takahashi and Scott Downs.
That might soon change, but not necessarily for the better.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Angels have shown interest in Scott Podsednik.
Podsednik, who turns 35 in March, batted .297/.342/.382 with six homers and 51 RBI between the Royals and Dodgers this past season. He did steal 35 bases, but getting caught 15 times sure isn’t what you want from a basestealer. And while he looks like a leadoff hitter — in fact, Rosenthal writes that the Angels “are in need of a leadoff man” — Podsednik walked just 6.6 percent of the time in 2009 and 6.7 percent of the time in 2010. And for what it’s worth, UZR (Ultimate Zone Rating) wasn’t very kind to him last season, either.
I sure hope Arte Moreno isn’t forced to raise ticket prices if his club makes this blockbuster signing.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (294)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)