Dec 20, 2010, 9:35 PM EDT
The Cubs and Rangers may have jumped ahead of the Nationals for Brandon Webb, but Bill Ladson of MLB.com reports that the club remains interested in Carl Pavano.
Pavano, who turns 35 in January, is considered by many to be the best free agent starting pitcher left on the market. He went 17-11 with a 3.75 ERA and 117/37 K/BB ratio over 32 starts with the Twins this past season, topping 200 innings for the first time since he won 18 games in 2004.
Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com opined yesterday that the Twins regained some leverage in their efforts to re-sign Pavano after Zack Greinke was traded to the Brewers (a potential suitor), but it won’t be so easy as long as teams like the Nationals and Rangers are still looking for pitching. In fact, Ladson hears from a source that the Nats spoke with Pavano’s people just yesterday.
There has been a reluctance among teams to give Pavano more than two years thus far, and that makes sense given his injury history, but the first team willing to go three years at over $10 million per season will probably get him. As we have already learned this winter, don’t sleep on those Nats.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)