Dec 20, 2010, 9:35 PM EDT
The Cubs and Rangers may have jumped ahead of the Nationals for Brandon Webb, but Bill Ladson of MLB.com reports that the club remains interested in Carl Pavano.
Pavano, who turns 35 in January, is considered by many to be the best free agent starting pitcher left on the market. He went 17-11 with a 3.75 ERA and 117/37 K/BB ratio over 32 starts with the Twins this past season, topping 200 innings for the first time since he won 18 games in 2004.
Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com opined yesterday that the Twins regained some leverage in their efforts to re-sign Pavano after Zack Greinke was traded to the Brewers (a potential suitor), but it won’t be so easy as long as teams like the Nationals and Rangers are still looking for pitching. In fact, Ladson hears from a source that the Nats spoke with Pavano’s people just yesterday.
There has been a reluctance among teams to give Pavano more than two years thus far, and that makes sense given his injury history, but the first team willing to go three years at over $10 million per season will probably get him. As we have already learned this winter, don’t sleep on those Nats.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 21
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 60
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 18
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)