Dec 20, 2010, 10:14 AM EDT
Over the weekend Jen Royle of MASN reported that the O’s had offered Adam LaRoche three years and as much as $18 million. She has updated her report and now says that the O’s are offering LaRoche three-years and $21 million.
I still think LaRoche makes sense in Baltimore, but boy, that contract is starting to look a bit heavy. It’s been suggested that Derrek Lee is only seeking a one-year deal, with the Nationals as his most eager suitor. If I were the O’s I’d consider bidding on Lee — even if it makes him a tad more expensive — if he’d be happy with a single year rather than give three to LaRoche. I mean, LaRoche or someone like him seems to be available every winter. Why make such a commitment to the guy?
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 79
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 22
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15