The Orioles’ offer to Adam LaRoche is richer than first reported

Dec 20, 2010, 10:14 AM EDT

Arizona Diamondbacks v San Francisco Giants Getty Images

Over the weekend Jen Royle of MASN reported that the O’s had offered Adam LaRoche three years and as much as $18 million.  She has updated her report and now says that the O’s are offering LaRoche three-years and $21 million.

I still think LaRoche makes sense in Baltimore, but boy, that contract is starting to look a bit heavy.  It’s been suggested that Derrek Lee is only seeking a one-year deal, with the Nationals as his most eager suitor.  If I were the O’s I’d consider bidding on Lee — even if it makes him a tad more expensive — if he’d be happy with a single year rather than give three to LaRoche. I mean, LaRoche or someone like him seems to be available every winter. Why make such a commitment to the guy?

1. Panda Claus - Dec 20, 2010 at 11:08 AM

So that sounds like more than a fair offer to me. What’s the hold-up Adam?

For the sake of argument, one of last year’s plug-and-play available corner infielder types was Garrett Atkins. He didn’t work out so well. This year’s approach may be “if you find a guy you want pay him”, rather than settle for the chopped liver leftovers.

A general question to throw out, I’ve heard comments that seem to paint LaRoche as less of a team guy, maybe even a locker room problem. Is there anything to support that theory, and if so, why wouldn’t this guy jump on an offer like this? What’s missing here?

2. oldtimefamilybaseball - Dec 20, 2010 at 11:13 AM

I don’t understand how Adam LaRoche is constantly available. Sure, he’s not the most inspiring guy to have on your team, but he’s been a 2-2.5 win player for four of the last five years. With the way money is being thrown around, I’m surprised he’s not getting $40 million dollars.

3. randomdigits - Dec 20, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Word is that Lee really doesn’t want to go to Baltimore. I am guessing it is because he is trying to build his value and doesn’t think having to face the Yankees/Red Sox/Rays pitching staffs over 50 times is the best way to do it. Then again maybe he some other issue that makes Washington more attractive to him then Baltimore.

I would much rather the O’s get Lee, better OBP and he is right handed.

• thinman61 - Dec 20, 2010 at 12:17 PM

So he’d rather go to the NL East and have to face the Phillies’ R2C2 pitching staff on a regular basis?

*scratches head*

• randomdigits - Dec 20, 2010 at 1:18 PM

18 games vs Phillies vs 18 games each vs Yankees, Sox and Rays.

Or maybe he dislikes the Orioles for some other reason, I was just throwing that out as a theory.

4. revolution311 - Dec 20, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Until they’re competing for a playoff spot again the O’s are going to have to overspend to get players to come aboard.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win