Dec 20, 2010, 10:05 AM EDT
Jon Heyman tweets that the Royals asked the Yankees for Jesus Montero and Eduardo Nunez in exchange for Zack Greinke and told the Yankees that Greinke would drop his no-trade clause. The Yankees rejected the offer, however, because they did not believe that Greinke was a good fit for New York.
It’s interesting that the reason for the Yankees putting the kibosh on the deal was not the asking price but the whole Greinke-can’t-handle-New York thing. Potentially presumptuous — God help Brian Cashman if Greinke and the Brewers go deep into the playoffs this year — but also reflective of the risks involved.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)