Dec 21, 2010, 11:58 AM EDT
UPDATE: Jon Paul Morosi says that Webb
is expected to decide on a team by this evening. Correction: Morosi said Webb isn’t expected to pick a team today. I win the award for reading comprehension fail. I don’t think that changes anything in the analysis, however: the Rangers and Cubs are the front runners, but the Nats could be lurking too. And as I say below, pie continues to be better than cake.
In other news, that pie comment in the last update created a tremendous cake vs. pie debate on Twitter. For the record, I’m Team Pie. You may feel free to like cake if you prefer, but if you do, know this: you are wrong and are probably some kind of communist.
10:05 AM: This may be the fastest update I’ve ever had, but as soon as I posted this, Ed Price of FanHouse said that Webb is not in Texas. I don’t know who’s right, but I know this: if someone reported that pie is tasty, within five minutes someone would refute the report because that’s just how things go these days.
10:01 AM: That comes from T.R. Sullivan, who reports that Webb is in Texas and is meeting with Ron Washington and pitching coach Mike Maddux. Sullivan also relays an interesting fact of which I was not aware: the Rangers’ team physician is the guy who operated on Webb’s shoulder in 2009.
As we’ve said continuously, Webb presents a really big risk. Shoulders are way harder to deal with than elbows, and there hasn’t been much to suggest that Webb is 100%. Apart from is word anyway. But if he’s not too pricey, whoever gets him stands a chance to reap some tremendous upside.*
*Note: I spoke with an Amish farmer this morning who owns an actual reaper. He said, yes, you can technically “reap” upside. Not sure if I should trust his word, though, given that he told me this via text message, and I don’t think they can really do that, even if they do make great rocking chairs and cheese and stuff.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 16
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (119)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)