UPDATE: Brandon Webb won’t choose a team by today

Dec 21, 2010, 11:58 AM EDT

Brandon Webb dugout

UPDATE: Jon Paul Morosi says that Webb is expected to decide on a team by this evening. Correction: Morosi said Webb isn’t expected to pick a team today.  I win the award for reading comprehension fail. I don’t think that changes anything in the analysis, however: the Rangers and Cubs are the front runners, but the Nats could be lurking too. And as I say below, pie continues to be better than cake.

In other news, that pie comment in the last update created a tremendous cake vs. pie debate on Twitter.  For the record, I’m Team Pie. You may feel free to like cake if you prefer, but if you do, know this: you are wrong and are probably some kind of communist.

10:05 AM: This may be the fastest update I’ve ever had, but as soon as I posted this, Ed Price of FanHouse said that Webb is not in Texas. I don’t know who’s right, but I know this: if someone reported that pie is tasty, within five minutes someone would refute the report because that’s just how things go these days.

10:01 AMThat comes from T.R. Sullivan, who reports that Webb is in Texas and is meeting with Ron Washington and pitching coach Mike Maddux.  Sullivan also relays an interesting fact of which I was not aware: the Rangers’ team physician is the guy who operated on Webb’s shoulder in 2009.

As we’ve said continuously, Webb presents a really big risk. Shoulders are way harder to deal with than elbows, and there hasn’t been much to suggest that Webb is 100%. Apart from is word anyway.  But if he’s not too pricey, whoever gets him stands a chance to reap some tremendous upside.*

*Note: I spoke with an Amish farmer this morning who owns an actual reaper. He said, yes, you can technically “reap” upside.  Not sure if I should trust his word, though, given that he told me this via text message, and I don’t think they can really do that, even if they do make great rocking chairs and cheese and stuff.

1. BC - Dec 21, 2010 at 10:13 AM

If you can reap upside, does that mean you can sow upside?

• Utley's Hair - Dec 21, 2010 at 1:15 PM

If you reap what you sow and you can reap the upside, I guess it would have to be possible to sow upside…but I like cake—and fudgelike brownies—so what do I know?

2. apbaguy - Dec 21, 2010 at 11:45 AM

And great pies. When I lived in DC there was this Amish market in Gaithersburg (pretty close to PA) where they sold apple pies in season. Fabulous! as Perez Hilton might say. So tasty. And there was some damn good apple pie on the West VA border around late Autumn, but the Amish apple pie was the best.

3. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Dec 21, 2010 at 12:06 PM

PIE>CAKE

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Dec 21, 2010 at 12:07 PM

I’m pretty sure I started this debate weeks ago…

• Utley's Hair - Dec 21, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Cake dammit!!!!! It has icing—remember?

4. The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Dec 21, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Do svidaniya, Comrade.

5. BC - Dec 21, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Gotta go with a chocolate cream pie. Mmmmm…..

6. spudchukar - Dec 21, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Is cheesecake pie or cake?

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Dec 21, 2010 at 12:42 PM

poorly named pie.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 21, 2010 at 12:47 PM

It’s awesome is what it is.

7. Utley's Hair - Dec 21, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Cake—though according to Craig, it would probably have to be red velvet or some such thing. Of course I like the fudge style brownies, too, so there’s that.

8. BC - Dec 21, 2010 at 1:29 PM

I’m a scone guy, myself….

• Utley's Hair - Dec 21, 2010 at 1:50 PM

You elitist.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3493)